Crush points- front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Anyone know where the crush/impact points are on the late JKs?

finishing the welding on my all aluminum front bumper and got curious as I’m incorporating crush points in the design and would like to compliment the unibody.

And before you knuckleheads start screaming about aluminum, I’d like to point out even ARB has photos of totaled Libertys online. Sure the ARB bumper is intact, but what good is it if the unibody is totaled? Just sayin’

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I can’t help you with your question about crush points, but I would be interested to see your bumper once complete.
Yeah, I’ll post it and the blueprints later this year. I got students returning to the labs for the first time in 18 months, so aint much time for me to do too much for a few weeks…

well, that and I’m a little rusty on my aluminum welding. I’ve managed to have to redo the wings three times now.

:ha ha:

BlackBetty

Reaction score
I just noticed you have the "IRO rear UCA" listed in your signature. I did some research as I wasn't familiar with this and found the website with the UCA & LCA upgrade for the rear. How do you like this product?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I love them. Do not actually need them. Had some money extra and bought them on a whim. May be handy if I ever bother with larger than stock tires. See no reason for the LCAs to be adjustable with my build. The rear UCA/A arm is burly and beefier that the stock.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I love them. Do not actually need them. Had some money extra and bought them on a whim. May be handy if I ever bother with larger than stock tires. See no reason for the LCAs to be adjustable with my build. The rear UCA/A arm is burly and beefier that the stock.
You never want to extend the LCAs anyways
this is not a rear full length spring setup but coils and as such even going 32s etc you want the wheel/tire combo right where it is, no need to extend it any at all.
My 32s with 4.5 inches of on 8 inch wide Maobs fit right up into the wheelwell in the rear

BlackBetty

Reaction score
So it sounds like the UCA is a solid upgrade, but stay away from the LCAs since adjustability is not needed? Tommudd are you just running the stock LCAs?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
The adjustable lowered aren’t needed in that you shouldn’t need to adjust them, however they are an upgrade to the OE style in that that are better materials and construction.

I got a free set of stock UCAs installed due the recall and ran those with no issues other than the retorqing.

In short, but em if you want them or save some money and just run stock. It’s one of the few suspension items where it does not affect form, fit, or function.

Check your recall status though. No joke, mine failed on the way to the dealership the morning I had scheduled replacement for said recall.

BlackBetty

Reaction score
Gotcha thanks for clarifying.

I've already dealt with Jeep on the LCA recall. I started to notice that my KJ would get squirrely when you let off the accelerator at highway speeds. I was in college and working at that time, so I didn't have a whole lot of free time. I brought the Jeep to my local mechanic to check it out and they found that the LCAs needed to be replaced. So I just threw money at them and they fixed it for me.

Fortunately I kept my receipt, so Jeep paid me back every penny!

I've had these LCAs on my Jeep for a few years now, so it would probably be a good time to upgrade. I've also had the UCA V fail on me a handful of times, so I have been looking for a better solution. How did the installation process go for the UCA & LCAs?

BlackBetty

Reaction score
What about the flex joint upgrades on the UCA and LCAs? I'm not totally clear on what the difference is or what the advantage would be.

Did you elect to upgrade to the flex joints, or just stay with the standard rubber mounts?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
What about the flex joint upgrades on the UCA and LCAs? I'm not totally clear on what the difference is or what the advantage would be.

Did you elect to upgrade to the flex joints, or just stay with the standard rubber mounts?
By flex joints I’m assuming you mean bushings or ball joints?
If bushings, JBA on upper, greaseable Moogs on everything else. Possibly clearancing upper slots. If ball joints JBA on top and moog on bottom.
JBA UCAs worth the money.

Oh and a proper grease gun with proper grease for regular preventative maintenance .

iPhone knows me too well and tries to substitute tequila for regular…

BlackBetty

Reaction score
By flex joints I’m assuming you mean bushings or ball joints?
If bushings, JBA on upper, greaseable Moogs on everything else. Possibly clearancing upper slots. If ball joints JBA on top and moog on bottom.
JBA UCAs worth the money.

Oh and a proper grease gun with proper grease for regular preventative maintenance .

iPhone knows me too well and tries to substitute tequila for regular…
Lol

I was referring specifically to the rear UCA & LCAs. The Iron Rock website states: "Upgrade lower control arms to flex joints instead of rubber bushings (on one end)". They have the same upgrade for the upper control arm.

Did you go with this upgrade?