Crossover and tweet mounting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ Ebster

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Can you advise me on the following:
What is a decent component system that won't break the bank but still give good sound. I have an aftermarket Pioneer HU (Installing Infinity mono amp and sub too).

I am looking for a component that has a fairly small crossover unit that I am thinking of mounting inside the door behind the panel (velcro). I don't want to mount the crossovers under the steering column as I would have to run wires thru the door rubber thingy which is a pain.

Also, I have read on the Crutchfiled site that you have to mount the tweets about a foot away fromk the midrange for a good sound stage. Any ideas where can I mount the tweets? Should i disconnect teh dash existing tweets? I was thinking of the little storage compartment at the bottom on the door. Ideally I want to mount it in the current dash location but dread running wires from the crossover unit that will be located in the door all the way to the dash location.

Any ideas and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know decent audio installers in North New Jersey. I live in Rockaway and Best Buy is always fully booked.

Thanks
E

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Mount the tweets up in the factory dash tweeter location, if you mount then on the door pillars like I was going to, I was told they would be too "bright" meaning too much highs in your ears.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mounting tweeters on a spot where they would be level with your ear will probably over power everything else and will be all you hear, since you can never level both tweeters and woofers to same level unless you turn town treble way low, which contradicts with purpose of having tweeters. If you have to mount them there, make sure you buy ones that can pivot then you can direct them towards floor or elsewhere.

When I was in overseas, I saw tweeters as small as a quarter and they sounded incredible.

Anyway, to answer your question of looking for a small x-overs, here is the best one that fits your requirement:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS600C/Alpine-SPS-600C.html

Cross overs are right there on the woofers. This is what I am looking for, but I am also concerned about routing new wires or even using existing wires but removing the dash to access the tweeters. These seem to have "ring" fasteners.

Let us know what you end up with. If anyone has "how to take the dash apart" instructions, please do tell.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
TokyoJoe, Mount them where?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you take the dash apart or is there a secret magic passage underneath you can reach in and grab wires?

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That little dash cover strip is easy to work with/remove. You have to take the "Pillar panel with the Oh Crap handles" off first though. Wires go straight on through. Very easy.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks T.J., I suppose you did not take any pictures during that phase?