Cricket sounds coming from wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winston415

Reaction score
I have not been able to track this down. It sounds like crickets coming from, I believe, the front wheels. The sound is constant and only stops if I hit the brakes, even just barely applying pressure on the brakes. This is on a 2010 KK 4x4. Has anyone else had this before and what is it from?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Winston to the forums!
Crickets stop with braking, that is an interesting description, never heard of that one.
How many miles on your brakes since they were last inspected?
Are the pads worn evenly? Photos of front rotors would be helpful.
Inspection time: Could be anything like calipers or sliders, pads/rotors, even wheel hub torque values etc.

Winston415

Reaction score
Howdy Liberty!
I had them inspected just about 200 miles ago and they could not find anything wrong. The front brakes and rotors are fairly new. It has about 134k on it and I just bought it 5 months ago.
I have not personally inspected the pads since the shop that inspected it said they were new. If I have a look myself, what should I be looking for? Attached are some pics of the front and rear just on driver side. The new looking rotors are the front.

Thanks!

Attachments

• front rotor.jpg
    front rotor.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 7
  • rear rotor.jpg
    rear rotor.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 7

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the anti rattle clips that hold the brake pads in your calipers. If one of them has dislodged (or was not installed the last time you had the brakes done) it could cause a noise like this.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the KK has the same slide pins as the KJ does. KJ has one conventional slide pin and one that is undersized with a rubber o-ring on it that had swelled up so bad it was frozen in place, took a vice and a lot of penetrating oil to free it up on mine. I went to the junkyard and pulled standard pins for mine to put in place, they fit in perfectly and it's been operating smooth now for a year.

Beings it sounds more like crickets it seems more likely that it could be related to those brake pad clips the pads contact like lfhoward said above, but while you have things apart it's always nice to check those pins to prevent future headaches from my experience.

Winston415

Reaction score
Hi guys. I did see those clips in there, but yeah they may need replacing. I will check those and the pins soon as I have a chance and let you know.

Thanks!

Penguin

Reaction score
I had a noise that sounded like it was coming from my brakes. Turned out to be my front driveshaft. Had 2 shops look at it and could not find the problem. After finding this forum, I was able to fix the problem.

Winston415

Reaction score
I hope that is not my problem. Did the noise stop for you when you braked?

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a noise that I thought that came from the front drivers tire on my KJ that sounded like a tree frog or baby raccoon. It ended up being a bad rear u joint. There wasn't any play in the joint but the bearings were dry

Members online

No members online now.