CRD Oil requirement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
Just got the liberty back from the dealer, I am on the road so this isn't my home dealer. Had both front shocks replaced and the rear end bearings and seals replaced, while it was there had the oil changed.
They changed the oil last week, when I was here the first time, had to wait on all the parts.
When I picked it up today, the paper work showed it had 5-40 oil, the service advisor said " Chrysler has quit using M1, and to use 5-40" now instead of the 0-40 that had been used. This sounds like bull to me, three months ago it was still M1. They used 5-40 Quaker State, it's a full synthetic.
Has anybody else, heard that change in oil weight, and that Chrysler has dropped M1?:D

JoBo

Reaction score
The weight is OK per the owners manual and many use Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic. But what QS they used is anyone's guess??

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weight is OK per the owners manual and many use Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic. But what QS they used is anyone's guess??

That weight is fine. I am using shell Rotella T 5w40 full synthetic

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a full synthetic, or the half bottle they gave me is, what they actually put in I don't know. I know the manual says 5-40 is ok, but I've been running the 0-40 since I got it. I notice it cranks a little longer, when cold.
Guess I am going to, start taking my own oil with me, from now on.:D

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a fumoto valve on it and change it yourself! It takes Ten minutes.

I use an Amsoil filter and Amsoil European Car formula synthtetic.

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess, that's what I'll have to start doing, haven't changed the oil my self in over twenty years, I had a great mechanic where I use to live and just got out of doing it my self, cause I knew I could trust him to to the right thing.
I guess I've just gotten lazy, the last flat tire killed my back just getting the spare off of the tailgate.:D

Mopars-Only

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quaker State does make full synthetic 5W-40 motor oil, but it is rated CF/SM. The SM part is a great rating meant for gasoline engines, however, the CF rating is not as good as Shell or Mobil synthetics meant for diesel engines. Ironically, Shell now owns Quaker State, they have owned them since `02. Quaker State's 5W-40 is maybe OK for our CRD engines, but it is certainly not top rated. You can go to the Quaker State web site and read it for yourself, the info is all there. Shell also owns Penzoil by the way, for what that is worth.
I have an `05 CRD with about 115K miles on it now, and have been using Shell 5W-40 in it since it was new. The Shell is rated CJ4, which is the top rating specified as of today.

Jeff
`05 Liberty CRD
`07 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
`04 PT Cruiser
`05 Aprilia Scarabeo 500GT

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2x on the fumoto valve. I got one with my first DIY oil change. the last one was so easy. you just get under with ur Pan and open it up, the oil drains straight down. The hardest part is the waiting for it and the mess the filter kinda makes but thats still not too bad. I open the valve to drain it and go get a drink then come back to channge the filter and fill it again.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember, that Fumoto is hanging lower down there than without it. Even a greater need to skid plates.....

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the full mopar skid plate package on my Jeep. Must have been on there since New it was even listed on the Dealers Preowned window sticker.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the one with out the nipple and no its not below the skid. it is above the skid plate.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, could you post a pic of that oil bottle? I didn't realize QS made a 5W40.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I just found on the QS website that Ultimate Durability (aka QHP) comes in 5W40. I did not know that!