CRD burning oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the amsoil bypass filter (prolly the only one out there) and im noticing somthing odd. Im BURNING OIL! well i suppose this is normal, but how much IS normal? ive driven about 9K miles on one oil change (did the analysis at 5K all was ok). Ive added about 2.5 Quarts to the vehicle total so far to keep it at the full mark. Particularly interesting ive added a full quart in the last 2000 miles of driving. BTW the oil is in fantastic shape for the life i have on it. but then again 25% of it is not original =(

Any Ideas?

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only vehicle I ever ran Amsoil in did the same thing. Also, the scheduled interval for changing the oil is around 6k -- What type of analysis did you have performed? Spectro? I think that procedure only allows for tracking suspended particles.

When our CRD was new, it used a quart in the first month, but hasn't lost or used any since. We are at a little over 12k and have changed oil twice.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CRD gets regular use not heavy so my book says 12K between changes but everything changes depending on use and setup.

There have been a few CRD's that use oil regularly that I have heard about and then others that use it for some other reason. One of the other reasons is the air intake and getting a wet or really dirty air filter. When new my CRD was just fine on oil at 4K and at 5K it was a quart low. This was after some really wet, slushy winter weather. I have since switched to am '03 air box and Amsoil filter and never used a drop of oil in the next 25K miles.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no not spectro, the full lab, check about 15 diff metals ect, along w fuel, visc, water,soot, ect. the bypass extended drain interval calls for analysis evey 6 mo or 6 to10k miles up to 60k miles. the bypass keeps a lot of soot and gunk out, thay i can feel by toch and see by how it doesnt get as black. i think i may switch oils here tho, i used elf in my tdi and was very happy.

Forestech Jr.

Reaction score
Just did my first service on my '06 CRD and noticed right before I took it in for change that mine was down a quart of two or to the bottom of the dip stick. This concerned me and my dealer gave me a big shrug when I asked why is was....there are no leaks or anything but I find my CRD is loosening up more as I drive it (only 6,500 miles) and will monitor the oil over the next 6,500 miles.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did my first service on my '06 CRD and noticed right before I took it in for change that mine was down a quart of two or to the bottom of the dip stick. This concerned me and my dealer gave me a big shrug when I asked why is was....there are no leaks or anything but I find my CRD is loosening up more as I drive it (only 6,500 miles) and will monitor the oil over the next 6,500 miles.

Again, keep an eye out on you air filter and on the intercooler hoses. If this engine can't breath correctly it will breath through the crankcase and pull oil from there. Many have had this experience but it only occassionally results in significant oil use. It will destroy the intercooler hoses and potentially the intercooler. I am having my shop replace the intercooler hoses and clean the intercooler next week due to oil. The oil has seeped through the hoses. Then I am going to vent the crankcase.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CCV is vented and I run a K&N (So im hoping she can breath ok) but most of the trouble was happening, before i did this, ive also just recencly switched to ELF from Amsoil.... Will be watching closely for any oil consumption and report back....

Funny enough, my engine temps are running at 195F rather than 205F now (az heat been about 108F out these days, cooler than normal heheh).... And the engine is a lot more quiet than it was b4... Not sure if its b/c my amsoil was shot, or just different altogether than ELF. im using the 505.01 aproved ELF for european diesels, figured that would be good b/c technicaly its a european diesel, and the Jeep manual says special 0w40 w/ bla bla bla certs, OR ANY full synthetic 5w40. My TDI loved the 5w30 equivalant of that oil so ill stick w/ it...

ALSO...my oil analysis will be comming back in a few weeks too curious how that stuff did ovr the 12k i had it in there. Drifting off topic, but i had another analysis done at like 2K miles and everything was A-OK !

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update!! 7K on the ELF oil, not a drop missing! =P

Pablo

Reaction score

If your CRD has 6,500 miles since new the motor is not even broke in and you can expect oil consumption. Especially with the stock 0w-40. That stuff gets blown out faster than you can blink. I would bet it is all in your CAC hose. Take it off and see. I use Shell Rotella T and it will blow some out into the Provent I added, especially anything over 6.2 quarts or so or when pulling hard up a hill.

Also, something about this engine (turbo?) makes it take forever to drain all the oil back to the sump. Let it sit and the dip stick will read higher (at least on mine). Don't assume that if it reads low right after you stop that it is low, wait awhile and read it again to make sure. I read mine in the morning just to make sure.

The middle of the dip stick, between full and min is where mine ends up after a change (adding 6.4 quarts)-- you might want to measure this on yours to see where it is to begin with. Some folks in the past have reported theirs being off. If yours is off and you keep adding-- it will keep blowing it out or burning it.

Last edited: