Crashed the Liberty: pics inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 02/12/2016

I can't say much good for Labadie GMC in Bay City, with regards to how they are handling the body shop repairs.

I had to push for the estimate to be completed, which was done 7 days to the day after the truck was dropped off. I then sent the adjuster/advisor and body shop manager an email asking for an update 6 days after that. Heard nothing for 3 days and called, irate.

This was yesterday when I called... was informed that they found a large wiring harness behind the bumper was damaged (I am uncertain that it is due to this accident or not). They say bare wires exposed, insulation damaged, etc. They are looking for prices and availability on salvage yard parts, but even at that, plus labor costs, may push the estimate into the zone of "total loss".

I figure the truck, in fair market value, based on pre-accident condition, is worth $4100-$4300. NADA, KBB, and Edmunds fall into line with this.

So I emailed my State Farm corporate person who helped get the claim going. Expresed my concerns and the problem I now face, which includes having exhausted all of my alternative transportation options.

She is going to talk to the dealer today to get the details, and call me back this afternoon and we can discuss.

I just want the truck back. I could put a stupid tire on it, and if alignment checks out, drive it. Despite what they say about the wiring, the vehicle operated normally after the impact. I noticed nothing that stopped working or lead to an MIL of any sort.

Financially, totalling it may work out to my advantage. Minus my deductible and the salvage value of the vehicle (which I do not know, but estimate between $500-$1000), I could buy the vehicle back and receive somewheres around a $3000 check. By my own numbers.

Clearly State Farm's numbers may be different.

But we'll see... ideally the truck would just be repaired and I'd have it back no later than end of next week. But with this situation and the repair shops lack of expediency, I feel that is unrealistic.

If I buy it back as totaled, and opt to repair it on my own, I think I could easily buy and install an ARB front bumper, toss in a new right-side foglight and turn signal lens, new washer tank and call it good. Since I'd have to cut off the damaged section of the fender flare anyhow, all I'd need is new fender flare clips.

I'll keep this page updated as we go along.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with your insurance company, and possibly others, if it goes the totaled way. Some ins. companies are not going to give it collision coverage, for obvious reasons. My daughter just had her Cherokee "totaled", she got rearended and it's still driveable. Settlement amount was $3,144 and salvage buyback amount was $300. I negotiated the buyback to $150, keeping it was a no-brainer. But, my insurance company (Nationwide) will not keep it insured, not even liability, until it gets repaired, inspected from the state, and the "salvage" branding on record gets removed. She is able to get coverage as it sits now on her own through Allstate, which shows how companies do operate differently. You have State Farm, good luck with them!

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with your insurance company, and possibly others, if it goes the totaled way. Some ins. companies are not going to give it collision coverage, for obvious reasons. My daughter just had her Cherokee "totaled", she got rearended and it's still driveable. Settlement amount was $3,144 and salvage buyback amount was $300. I negotiated the buyback to $150, keeping it was a no-brainer. But, my insurance company (Nationwide) will not keep it insured, not even liability, until it gets repaired, inspected from the state, and the "salvage" branding on record gets removed. She is able to get coverage as it sits now on her own through Allstate, which shows how companies do operate differently. You have State Farm, good luck with them!

I've heard that about them too. :shrug:

Common problem, so many companies are eager to take your money but hard time trying to get repairs done in a timely manner. One reason I don't deal with body shops anymore. I've also learned that no matter what certain vehicles even for ''small'' things they're fast to just total them out. One reason why I am glad I no longer have my G8, having watched on other threads of light accidents they're just quickly totaled out. The VE Commodore and its sibling the Caprice are uniquely designed since they're used for Police Vehicles, with segmented unibodies. So if you smash the whole front end, you can have a new one put on, and ready to go without the need to straighten or align.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues working with State Farm, they've been great. It was communication from the dealer body shop (or lack thereof) that I had the biggest issue with.

Newest update is that the vehicle should be ready by Wednesday. When I had called, irate and frustrated on Friday, I spoke specifically to the manager.. I was given a very nice 2010 Malibu LTZ to drive at no charge until my vehicle was finished.

So it sounds like they are going to be doing a solder/shrink tube/re-wrap repair on the wires that were damaged. I'm good with that. And parts had not only already arrived, but were being installed that day.

So on Friday, the new tire was being installed, and I'm sure the alignment shortly thereafter. They said Saturday it was being painted.

So we'll see how it works out to the end here. In some ways, I'd almost have preferred a cash settlement for repairs, or a total loss/owner retain vehicle/payout check since that would have both worked out to my financial advantage, AND allowed me to buy a new ARB bumper and put an OME suspension on the vehicle with cash to spare.

Oh well, at this point, I'm just going to be happy to have my truck back. I'll be inspecting their work very closely; and as always, receiving a copy of ALL documents.

ACWeller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh...the curse of M-13. I've had more than one close call on 13. Gets shady out past Wicks park when the weather is crappy.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep should hopefully be ready for pickup today (or tomorrow). They said Wed, which was yesterday, but I did not receive a phone call like I did on Monday... where they said that it was going to be road tested on Tuesday.

So we'll see.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pickup in about 1 hour....

Let's hope it's all good and "feels" right. Or as my brother said, not painted gold as the new "Kanye West Edition".

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a few pics of the repair job. Didn't realize my foglight lends were so hazy until I got one brand new one!

Overall, I think the repair looks good. Paint seems to match. Panel gaps look good. The steering wheel does seem a bit off, a few degress to the left, but I'm sure they're going to blame that on the left outer tie rod that called to tell me about while doing the alignment (and then gave me the $165.00 repair estimate for!). But that isn't a biggie, as it tracks straight.

You must be registered for see images attach

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good, should've said the wheels weren't corroded before the accident. :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice work they did. Still I wonder what the main support looks like behind bumper skin.
What was the total repair costs?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice work they did. Still I wonder what the main support looks like behind bumper skin.
What was the total repair costs?

Total was $2300 and some misc change. The main core support was untouched. the plastic piece that routes the main front harness was broken, resulting in the damaged wires that were previously mentioned. While they repaired the few damaged wires, they did not replace that plastic piece (shaped like a big L or J on the right right, but that is ok, because I'll just wrap it in some high strength gaffing tape.

Plan to do the outer tie rod end sometime later on... need to replace valve cover gaskets first, then oil/diff/trans/t-case fluids are due again for replacement.

I already took it down some heavy mud two-track trails; was through grassy brush, so no risk of scratching the new paint.

I have to say, a Jeep is one of the only vehicles that looks just as good muddy, as they do clean.