Costco says they can't do it!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
So I gave Costco a call tonight to find out about gettin some tires put on next week, lookin at the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 693's. Price of 235/70/16's (stock size as I have the upgraded wheel package) is $110.99/tire. This includes installation, disposal of the old ones, lifetime balancing and rotations, and a 50K warranty. Sounds like a great deal right? When I asked about going to 245/70/16's the difference per tire is $5, so i'm definately going to do 245's one way or another. Heres the thing though, I went down there to order them tonight. I told the guy what vehicle it was going on and all, and told him i'd like to order the 245/70/16's and have them installed either next monday, tuesday, or wednesday, depending on when they could fit me in. He punches the vehicle info in his computer, and says "245's arent listed for your vehicle, therefore we are not allowed to install them, I can still however sell you the tire, at a price of $99.99 a tire". So i'm just standin there like WHAT???? The whole reason I want to purchase through them is b/c they include everything in their price, and the lifetime balancing and rotations.

I even said to the guy, "my neighbor had a bigger size installed on his Cherokee a few months back that wasn't listed in your computer, and you all had no problems installing those on his vehicle, and I do understand that if they rub, any damages will void the warranty on the tires, but they shouldn't rub"

Has anybody else who's delt with Costco in the past and thats running bigger tires run into this problem?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah, i think in JU or LOST, they were putting in 245's, and they wouldnt put em on. something about liability reasons...

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup - Costco wouldn't put bigger tires on our Honda Accord EX even though the EXR had the bigger ones! I'll bet they wouldn't put 17" on a Sport Liberty even if you bought the bigger wheels...

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liability

They won't do it b/c it is 3% bigger than OEM spec. If your ABS doesn't work properly, speedo/odom are out of whack or you roll over, they don't want a lawsuit against them.

Get them to mount and bal and throw it in your back and put em on yourself

Or better still

Go find another dealer who will price match and service it. Many will match and you don't hafta wait 2 hours!!!

2003KJ

Reaction score
What would I get them to mount it on to and throw it in the back for me to do it? I've only got one set of wheels.

Didn't think about the price matching, might go check a couple of places out.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep They Will Not Do It

My friend works at a 5 star DC dealer as tech, he said the state where we live is enforcing the no oversize tires rule because of safety issues. Henceforth, this dealer will not install any tire size not recommended/approved by DC. The choices are few as dictated by a sticker on the door post or inside the glovebox.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I think it's pretty dumb if you ask me. What about people with lifts? What state are you in?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this definition of Jeep on:
www.dictionary.com

jeep (jp)
n.
A small, durable, general-purpose motor vehicle with four-wheel drive and a quarter-ton capacity, used by the U.S. Army during and after World War II.

1. In most cases has oversized tires

(biggrin)

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely

Remember the explorer roll overs and firestone.. that probably got people excited.. I'd stick with a pro having wheels installed.. my sister who has a sahara jeep wrangler.. had her tires rotated at VIP auto.. and not once.. but twice the front tires came completely off the vehicle.. these 'discount' auto places are not cool as they employ good techs to do ASC work on the car, but a high school kid to rotate tires and such.. resulting in.. oh I forgot to tighten that right front wheel... OUCH! funny my sister didn't feel any wheel shake until her tire rolled past and hit the car in front of her.. LOL