Cooling Fan Relay Location 2004 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This information is being provided to help others who also may have been scratching their head over relay locations on models after 2003.
I am also am in need of help.
Online seems to suggest that the relay is located here, however it is not located there on my 2004 !
You must be registered for see images attach

FSM lacks information about fan speeds, and now I am wondering do I even have a 2 speed fan?

If the relay is not on left side as first photo shows, now where is it located?

As you can see above ^ one cartridge fuse and 1 hi, and 1 low relay is shown, is in under hood Dist Center.
So I suppose that the PCM now controls the fan & speeds.
Can someone read this 2004 wiring diagram, this does not look right, does it really show a 2 speed fan set up?

Now here is the 2005 diagram & it shows the 2 relay design. I have an export Canadian 2004 model..wow confusing!
Me think my jeep made in May of 04 and they are publishing old information, as in not updated yet to the FSM of a 2005.

Even at 235F, the fan does not seem to go into high speed, only low speed ??
What is the difference in rotational speed suppose to be?
I assume it should be much louder on high?
How do I force a test to see if I have high speed working?
Possibly I should replace the coolant temp sensor & see what happens?? !!

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim, since you have 3 wires going to your e-rad fan. you have a two speed fan.
I have the relay you were looking for and 2 wires going to my e-rad fan. The speed is controlled via PWM.
I believe in your case, without reading the 05 FSM, is that either one of the two wires will be a biased at a time.

I suppose you could put a 12V on one pin and the other pin w.r.t. the black (assume ground) wire to check out the speed difference. I believe a few members spiced in wiring such that the high speed is always running.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks,
In essence with the fan connector dis-connected, my next move should be to supply direct 12v using ground and positive thru the fan pins, to ensure both fan speeds work.
Since no technical information related to temperature for the high speed mode seems to be available, I also should observe the obd2 temp reading on a hot day.
My gut feeling says that it is possible that the system itself may be working correctly, as temps are dropping, and may not require the fastest speed.
We know that the fan without AC on will generally kick on at around 227F and turn off around 209F.
I would like to consider wiring in something with a cabin switch to fast speed-- go go cool mode ha ha..

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. you could use a SPDT switch to toggle between low speed and high speed.
I'm sure which speed would come on depends on the coolant temp and battery temp as well.