Coolant on belt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rinkster

Reaction score
My water pump blew while I was at a stop light (didnt overheat) but sprayed coolant all over. Back in the day theory was the older green coolant would eventually eat away at any belts that got sprayed. Anyone know if the newer vehicle specific coolants will do this? I'm picking up a pump today and just needed to know if I have to replace the serpentine also?

Thanks in advance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My water pump blew while I was at a stop light (didnt overheat) but sprayed coolant all over. Back in the day theory was the older green coolant would eventually eat away at any belts that got sprayed. Anyone know if the newer vehicle specific coolants will do this? I'm picking up a pump today and just needed to know if I have to replace the serpentine also?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't take the chance and just replace , while doing it replace hoses and thermostat as well ( Mopar only on the Stat)
Also of course only HOAT coolant

rinkster

Reaction score
I wouldn't take the chance and just replace , while doing it replace hoses and thermostat as well ( Mopar only on the Stat)
Also of course only HOAT coolant

Thanks. For what it cost I ended up getting the belt and thermo also.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it's not going to eat away at it. What could happen is the embedded coolant could make the belt squeak. You can remove the belt, wash and scrub it with dish soap and rinse it clean. If however your belt is worn and cracked, then you'd want to replace it. Be sure to rinse off all of your pulleys too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online