Coolant leaking, heavy steering, smoke all over the place

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
everyones radiators??????????????always love to hear that when 4 or 5 have been replaced out of several 100,000 mines got 114,000 and no problems, I also like people who as soon as something happens are going to trade it off, go to any other vehicle forum and the same things happen no matter if its, Ford, GM, Toyota whatever, if you do not want to even try and work on your own junk then do not complain what they charge you. I am like tjkj been working on vehicles as long as I can remember , I buy parts on sale and stock pile them and when I need some thing I have it in the rafters,
glad you got it repaired yesterday

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having problems with something that isnt very old is very discouraging. I had a caliper lock up which thankfully happened close to home. Even though Im able to replace something like that easily in the driveway at home what if I was away from home or at college? I dont have the place or time to do it here at school and beside that, it costs money to fix stuff. A lot more money when you cant or dont have the place to fix it yourself. As everyone knows I have more Jeep in me than most people and I will hopefully always have a Jeep. May not be able to buy new since new jeeps are not so much a jeep anymore but there will always be used Jeeps.

Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt hesitate to replace a water pump, raditor, caliper, what ever right here in my apartments parking lot but Im sure I would get the weird eye and since I signed that dang contract which said I cant do that, idk how enforcing they are with all that. Ive not tried to wash it yet. :)

Everyone needs to realize that most people dont have the time, money, tools, know how, etc, to just go out and start working on their Jeep right then and there. Everyone has different life styles. If we could all work on our Jeeps mechanics wouldnt even have a Job.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree jeepster and I know everyone has full time jobs, so for those that think their job is more important then mine, well never mind., I work 40 plus every week but still maintain my own and a few other vehicles. But the fact remains that it is not only Jeep Libertys that break down, I get tired of people saying well I am going to trade the Liberty off due to one or two things happening, :eek:
My sister ( against what I said to her ) bought a new Toyota (blarg)(blarg)(blarg)(blarg)two years ago, in 23 months time it sat in a Toyota dealer 256 days waiting on parts or them trying to repair it, cheap overseas crap! So go buy one of them
But back to this post, you can complain about what it cost but if you do not want to get your hands dirty , then payup sucka!
I still think car maintenance should be part of getting your drivers license, for one it would help everyone out if you could do simple maintenance themselves and two for those that can not do anything it would keep them from ever driving !:D:D:D:D:D:D:D But then I do like people who don't want to do anything cause I can make a bunch of money from them

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having problems with something that isnt very old is very discouraging. I had a caliper lock up which thankfully happened close to home. Even though Im able to replace something like that easily in the driveway at home what if I was away from home or at college? I dont have the place or time to do it here at school and beside that, it costs money to fix stuff. A lot more money when you cant or dont have the place to fix it yourself. As everyone knows I have more Jeep in me than most people and I will hopefully always have a Jeep. May not be able to buy new since new jeeps are not so much a jeep anymore but there will always be used Jeeps.

Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt hesitate to replace a water pump, raditor, caliper, what ever right here in my apartments parking lot but Im sure I would get the weird eye and since I signed that dang contract which said I cant do that, idk how enforcing they are with all that. Ive not tried to wash it yet. :)

Everyone needs to realize that most people dont have the time, money, tools, know how, etc, to just go out and start working on their Jeep right then and there. Everyone has different life styles. If we could all work on our Jeeps mechanics wouldnt even have a Job.
i agree, i do most of my own work with help from the internet, but living in an apartment comlpex is very constraining. i have tools but i can only do so much...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
thats why you have friends with garages, one of my LOST friends was here the other night witha noise, had his in my garage checking it out to se what it was.

Oh well I guess if I had to live somewhere like that I may have a problem, but the first thing I do when I move anywhere is find a good local shop and they do what I can't, NEVER take one to a dealership

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I am talking about trading it after 70k, remember, that's very generous of me, since anything major would cost arm and a leg after that point.

You get what you pay for, you get a cheap as toyota from a cheap dealer who does not provide a loaner or temp vehicle (same make/model as yours), you end up sitting and waiting. Same thing with my cheap ass dealer. My uncle got his 06 KJ from another dealer who provides loaner when it is under warranty, he didn't pay a dime extra for it. It is their way of keeping customers with the dealer, and while it is under warranty, I don't care what they charge for it.

Like Blake said, it is just depressing to have problems every 6-7 months forcing me to get my jeep to the dealer, whereas I see people driving cheap hondas toyotas barely even visit the dealer for anything, not even an oil change. I know blown water pump or cracked radiator or blown a/c resistor are nothing too serious, but they all cost money, forget about me getting those fixed by help of online forums, but there must be bunch of people who rely on their dealers, who is ripping them off for $350 while they could get the part for $25 online and fix it themselves in 30 minutes. But believe me, that is not an advantage, claiming "you can get it for $25 and do it yourself". I could, by bob the retired factory worker who is driving a jeep probably could not. That's what I am trying to explain.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not every vehicle has problems.

Since we bought that 94 zj its not been back to the dealer ONCE. But we have replaced the fuel pump, water pump and crank sensor. Nothing else besides normal wear and tear parts have been replaced.

My brothers 99xj has been to the dealer once while it was under the 3yr/36k warranty. Rear axle had a bad bearing. It has the 8.25 axle just like a libertys, it was just a fluke.

My liberty has only been to the dealer once for a air bag sensor. Only other thing Ive replaced is the ball joints(moogs) and that rear caliper.

Stupid WK needs to go back for bad auto bright lights and a recall on the brakes programming. Its not even 2 years old and here all the fancy electronics are messing up. :D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not every vehicle has problems.

Since we bought that 94 zj its not been back to the dealer at all. But we have replaced the fuel pump, water pump and crank sensor. All of which were replaced well after the warranty ran out. Nothing else besides normal wear and tear parts have been replaced. Radiator and A/C compressor were replaced this past summer, both were just wore out. On long grades towing something the temp would go up a bit and the bearings went out on the compressor.

My brothers 99xj has been to the dealer once while it was under the 3yr/36k warranty. Rear axle had a bad bearing. It has the 8.25 axle just like a libertys, just a fluke. Not replaced anything else at all besides normal maintenance. Has ~80kmiles

My liberty has only been to the dealer once for a air bag sensor. Only other thing Ive replaced is the ball joints(moogs) and that rear caliper.

Stupid WK needs to go back for bad auto bright lights(doesnt auto bright) and a recall on the brakes programming. Its not even 2 years old and here all the fancy electronics are messing up. :D

Weve had more problems out of the corolla given what it does. Its a light car, small engine, hardly no drivetrain, doesnt offroad, it does nothing at all besides drive on the road. Rotors warped early on, exhaust headers leaked bad, burns over a quart of oil per 1,000 miles, front wheel bearing went out before 100k, it wouldnt start for 3 weeks with no explainable reason, its dangerous, nothing exciting about it, not comforterable, its cheap, probably wasnt designed in america... but hey, its more than paid for itself given the amount of money weve saved since we bought it used. More so since we had it through the $4 gas prices.

over all... With saving gas set aside, I see no benefit in having that car other than being able to not care at all about it. Whip it in a parking spot at walmart and hit someones door, what does it matter? haha

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Blake said, it is just depressing to have problems every 6-7 months forcing me to get my jeep to the dealer, whereas I see people driving cheap hondas toyotas barely even visit the dealer for anything, not even an oil change. I know blown water pump or cracked radiator or blown a/c resistor are nothing too serious, but they all cost money,
Have you been doing preventive maintenance?

If you have not been doing that then you are rolling around in a ticking time bomb,stuff will break at will from lack of maintenance.But then again there are parts that just fail,like I have stated many times before---Welcome to mass production-----every,and I mean every industry be it computers or dishwashers are prone to those fluke failures from mass production.

Oh and every part that moves,can be moved,or presses against something else on your vehicle is going to wear out,that is a 100% fact.Almost every part of any vehicle is a wear item that will wear out,when is upto the driver and how he/she takes care of his/her vehicle.I've seen a person(a woman) wear out a brand new set of rotors/pads in less then 5 days,and that was not from a bad set of rotors/pads either but there are poeple that can get over 100,000 miles from OE brakes.I have also seen many brand new parts,even OEM parts,that are bad from the get go,nothing you can do about it.

Also you can not compare your KJ to any other KJ,each KJ is vastly different from the next.Take my '02 KJ and USAFCOP's '02 KJ,same trans,t-case,and same mileage,and our 2 KJ's are vastly different in every way from mpg's to how the trans shifts.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Have you been doing preventive maintenance?

If you have not been doing that then you are rolling around in a ticking time bomb,stuff will break at will from lack of maintenance.But then again there are parts that just fail,like I have stated many times before---Welcome to mass production-----every,and I mean every industry be it computers or dishwashers are prone to those fluke failures from mass production.

Oh and every part that moves,can be moved,or presses against something else on your vehicle is going to wear out,that is a 100% fact.Almost every part of any vehicle is a wear item that will wear out,when is upto the driver and how he/she takes care of his/her vehicle.I've seen a person(a woman) wear out a brand new set of rotors/pads in less then 5 days,and that was not from a bad set of rotors/pads either but there are poeple that can get over 100,000 miles from OE brakes.I have also seen many brand new parts,even OEM parts,that are bad from the get go,nothing you can do about it.

Also you can not compare your KJ to any other KJ,each KJ is vastly different from the next.Take my '02 KJ and USAFCOP's '02 KJ,same trans,t-case,and same mileage,and our 2 KJ's are vastly different in every way from mpg's to how the trans shifts.
Well said.

It's surprising how much each mass produced product differs from others. It's almost like human fingerprints. Each and every one is different from the next. It's funny you mention computers. Take my computer and one from work. Two identical computers, but each one had their own "traits". Mine has an uneven screen, that one's perfect. Mine has a keyboard that has a "crisper" keyboard, that computer's keyboard was softer.

.... but wait, why wouldn't you change your oil? Do you honestly consider that a repair?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
At the end of the day, it's a motor vehicle. And they have mechanical problems just like anything else, including people. Things break down and fail. As long as it "Covered under warranty". Hardly anyone has an issue with it until the full amount comes out of their own pocket. A repair like you just encountered-although costly, is still less expensive than going out for most people and buying a new vehicle.
Go out and commute on a bicycle! You too will realize that a two wheeler costs money on up-keep! Bottom bracket, head sets, wheel bearings, etc! I know, I did that for over ten years. I could of bought a new high end bike for what I put into replacement parts.
Just like a motor vehicle. Things break, wear out, etc.
I bought a Jeep Liberty used and I live it everyday. I have posted my costs and expense here on the board for all to see. I've been screwed by the extended warranty man only to be told that "That part isn't covered". I still own our KJ 'cause I/we enjoy it!

And yeah, it ***** that your vehicle leaves you stranded, but **** happens. Blame the "Planned obsolescence" on GMC and not on Jeep.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just came back from 7 day out of country trip, took my jeep for a spin... I missed it. :)

Preventative maintenance? I think I sent the list of stuff that has been done on my jeep to Blake, every tune up every fix/service/etc.. Honestly, I don't think any prev main would have avoided these issues.. cracked radiator, bad a/c blower resistor, bad purge solenoid, blown water pump, door hinges acting up, a few other quirks/issues I may have forgotten...

Anyway, I am glad to have my jeep back and it drives nice, maybe because it was warm out today (as it drives much smoother and quieter in warmer weather - 66F)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we are at it, I just wanted to know what else should I expect to face if I keep my jeep?

cracked radiator - check - $700
cracked radiator - check - 11th month, done under warranty
dead blower resistor - check - $350 @ dealer , $25 self done
blown water pump - check - possible $700-$900, done under warranty
bad window regulators
rear flipper glass issues/rattles/malfunction
leaks at seals
headlights/fogs dying

If I expect stuff, they will hit me "softer".. I am sure there are bunch of stuff that would most likely happen, because after each problem thread, we hear about how it happened to 10s of others.

I think Blake and Marlon listed bunch of stuff that was a list of horror stories and how they kept their Jeep or bought another one.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For another post I just added up that in the last 115,000 miles I have spent 175 bucks on parts , thats it and that includes a O2 sensor that I tore the wires off of while off road, preventive maintenance goes a long way.
Oh and mine has NEVER been in any dealerships and only in a garage 3 times for alignments

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You know...

I think Jeeps are pretty cool and reliable. Judging by mine and family experience with the KJ it's a pretty solid Jeep. Don't care what anyone says.

I had bad luck with my '06. We won't go there. See the LOST CRD forum for more details... (I swear if I had to take that thing to the shop ONE MORE TIME I was gonna go nuts...)

My '04 was pretty much perfect. Only an 02 sensor failure in 27k miles. (Swaybar bushings don't count, the old ones could have just been lubricated and everything would have been fine...)

My WK seems to be perfect too. (Honestly it reminds me of a "Big Liberty" every day I drive it though...)

The '05 (Sister's) is currently throwing a fit right now though... its first real issue... something is up with the front end. I'm gonna take it to the dealer later this morning, maybe around 8-9AM. I dunno what it is..... right side tire is acting funny on tight turns, kinda like it's slipping on ice then catching traction. Weird...

I hate to say it but I read other car forums too.

The only funny issue you've had with your Jeep is the radiator.

Everything else seems to be a normal mass-produced vehicle issue.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For another post I just added up that in the last 115,000 miles I have spent 175 bucks on parts , thats it and that includes a O2 sensor that I tore the wires off of while off road, preventive maintenance goes a long way.
Oh and mine has NEVER been in any dealerships and only in a garage 3 times for alignments
Like Tom I have only dished out about $350 for parts over the last 7 years(MOOG LBJ's,tensioner ,and radiator),and my KJ has only been to the dealership 3 times(2 LBJ recalls,tensioner).I'm very ******* my KJ.I do have a very expensive repair coming up,head gaskets,but that was due to having to store my KJ for 2 years(the best preperation can't help dried up gaskets),but I think a v-8 swap will be done over doing a $2000 repair.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^some of you guys are ASE certified maniacs......errr I mean mechanics.

Me, I just do the easy stuff. Oil and other fluid changes, plugs etc. Most things are easy as long as you can get to them and don't absolutely need a lift. Radiators, water pumps, starters, brakes, etc etc are also easy depending on the vehicle. Some vehicles are easier than others. It will give you satisfaction, keep the vehicle away from the dealer, save you some money, and you will get to know the jeep up close.

I understand that a lot of people can't do their own work and it is mostly a time thing. Can't be at work and be in the driveway working on the vehicle at the same time. Anyway, if you can start doing some of the small things a little at a time, maybe on a Saturday or Sunday, you will get a sence of accomplishment and there are people on the board always willing to help. And, ANY VEHICLE CAN BREAK.

But Hyed, 2 radiators is just an indication that the radiators are made like a POS these days and that shouldn't have happened. But it can happen with ANY vehicle. I don't care what kind of vehicle it is. I put 2 starters in my other truck 6 months apart because the replacement (rebuilt AC Delco) crapped out. It was a bad rebuilt. Crap happens.

Keep your head up.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I understand that a lot of people can't do their own work and it is mostly a time thing. Can't be at work and be in the driveway working on the vehicle at the same time. Anyway, if you can start doing some of the small things a little at a time, maybe on a Saturday or Sunday, you will get a sence of accomplishment and there are people on the board always willing to help. And, ANY VEHICLE CAN AND WILL BREAK.

Fixed. :p

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
BTW: We just got back from the dealer.

The steering problem with my sister's Jeep turned out to be low power steering fluid. :p

... sad part about it is that they told her during her last oil change. :D She just didn't read the paper, LOL!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the O2 sensor go bad on the 20k, it was replaced under warranty, I had a few other stuff happened to me earlier which I either forgot since it has been a while, or just did not bother listing.

Anyway, if anyone can just comment on that expected things to go bad post, I would appreciate it.

Latest posts

Members online