Coolant leak from lower hose by tstat housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Picked the KJ up yesterday, it got a new Mopar rad, Mopar Tstat and new hose clamps on the lower radiator hose, (PN 55037660AA). It was kind of messy under there when I picked it up, so I cleaned it and put cardboard under it last night. All good in the morning! Then this afternoon I looked after I had driven it and parked it and there were a few drips. They were from where the hose connects to the tstat. Not from the bottom of the tstat housing where it bolts to the timing cover but where the hose slides on. Any ideas? I'm taking it back tomorrow.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought that but it's one of the OEM constant tension clamps, so no real way to tighten it. That's the type I had on it before and I had to retighten them every winter. Could it be that I ran that type on the hose before and then put the OEM type back on? (same hose, 2 years old from Napa).

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that worm clamp somehow deformed it. Might be worth swapping the hose since those OE clamps are the best.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that worm clamp somehow deformed it. Might be worth swapping the hose since those OE clamps are the best.

So the OE clamps are the best? I also was about to have the same question since I am about to tackle my lower hose and thermostat.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think I'm going to swap the hose out, does anyone think there's a chance the tstat housing outlet could be deformed? Or did the old hose take the brute of it? How can I tell?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to swap the hose out, does anyone think there's a chance the tstat housing outlet could be deformed? Or did the old hose take the brute of it? How can I tell?

There isn't really much to the outlet so I'd bet on the hose. Probably won't be able to tell until you take the hose off.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the OE clamps are the best? I also was about to have the same question since I am about to tackle my lower hose and thermostat.

Worm clamps loosen with time and heat cycles. They can be easily overtightened to ruin the hose. The spring clamps apply uniform pressure and can expand and contract with the hose and hose nipple. I've got OE on a couple of vehicles that are 18-20 years old and no leaks.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds good, I'm going to give it a shot within the next few days.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck HJ, I hope you can be leak free soon.
It's really is not the best idea to try to re-use a used hose.
They will deform over time, and a New Mopar hose that will fit evenly/ perfectly the first time, will offer the best leak free scenario.
I also use the OEM clamps with good success.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
New hose is on...but the new radiator blew out the drain plug. What a ******!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with Gates/Napa/Dayco hoses with the OEM type clamps? I was reading somewhere that the aftermarket hoses could be slightly thinner than Mopar ones and thus the spring clamps might have issues.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with Gates/Napa/Dayco hoses with the OEM type clamps? I was reading somewhere that the aftermarket hoses could be slightly thinner than Mopar ones and thus the spring clamps might have issues.

Not on the KJ but I put Gates on my 98 Ranger and used the OE (original) spring clamps and no leaks. Been about a year and a half now. I don't remember any difference in thickness.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
New hose is on...but the new radiator blew out the drain plug. What a ******!
Woh.. & this is on a Mopar rad, you really are not having any luck there HJ.
You are going though Hoat by the 10 gallon pails now..
Edit: Just read on other thread, another new rad to solve plug issue eek..
As HJ wonders what he did to deserve all of this non sense..
I begin to wonder if you somehow hurt the Jeep's feelings...
Possibly the Jeep feel's you've been naughty this year! :gr_grin:

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Still leaking. Dammit. Guess next up is a Mopar hose and does anyone have the right spring clamp part number? I checked online and couldn't find anything.

I'm wondering if I wrapped some of that self adhering rubber tape around the hose under the clamp to beef it up?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I thought the spec on the one Mopar one was 58mm so if that's correct then this specific one would be too small for that one since it says 51mm max. They do look pretty good though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.