Coolant drips into cylinder head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dlux

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the gasket on the passenger side valve cover (side note, clearing the way for this is a PAIN! :favorites68:). As I was removing the coolant tubing from the reserve, it slipped out of my hand and some coolant dripped in the rear cylinder head. (I know, I know, I should have drained the reserve first :pp:).
I cleaned around it the best I could but my question is, should I remove the coil pack and spark plug in an attempt to clean the rest or should I wait a little longer and hope that it dries itself? It was almost 24 hours ago (Sunday at 2:00). My fear is that if I take the coil pack and plug out, coolant will slip even further down. There wasn't too much that got in there, but I know just a little can make a BIG disaster. Thanks!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just shoot some compressed air in there if it bothers you. It should be fine, don't worry about it. It will burn off.

Dlux

Reaction score
Thanks! Was worried about shorting something out.

BTW, have you ever had to take the breather hose off, and if so, how in the world did you do it? I can't get it to come off. I would break it but can't confirm that the dealership has the part (already tried the auto stores in town).

Dlux

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Checked your profile and saw pics of your lift, nice! Still like it?

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had a lot of difficulty getting the valve cover out, I unclamped one of the core coolant hoses near the firewall to try and get a bit more space. I wasn't execting the surge of coolant :)

In any case, some pooled in the bottom of cylinder head, but I was able to dry it with a shop towel.

Will coolant really damage anything there? I don't think it is optimal but if there is just a little, it should get carried away as oil circulates in the head. Next time you change your oil, it is gone. So, if there is just a little, I wouldn't worry about it. If you had like 5+ oz, I would try and figure a way to evacuate it.

Dlux

Reaction score
Just to give an update, in case anyone ever has the same thing happen, no harm done. Drove just fine. Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Members online