Converting from electronic to clutch fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btwp

Reaction score
Looking to change my fan from the stock electric to a clutch fan (hydrologic) anyone have a how to what to do what not to do part numbers ect any help is appreciated

Dave_too

Reaction score
To complicate your search, as I've previously swapped in a heavy duty electric fan along with a mechanical fan with a clutch... If you don't already have one, you'll need a bigger shroud for the mechanical fan and it's recommended you change the water pump at the same time you do the install. There were a couple of recent recommendations on here for water pumps if you search. I think I got my stuff from Rock Auto, but it has been a couple of years now. Don't go for the cheapest setup you can find if you decide to order from them. I haven't been necessarily impressed with their low-end stuff in the past, though they do make the parts hunting easier. Best of luck to you. The mechanical fan is a little noisier, but then again it is a Jeep after all!

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the service manual parts diagrams to figure out what part #'s I needed in order to upgrade to HD cooling.

as I understand you cannot simply swap electric to clutch and call it good.

Here is a short list of what I used to do it (sorry no part #'s):
new mechanical fan clutch and blade (attaches to existing water pump pulley)
new Larger fan shroud for the mechanical fan
new lower profile electrical fan (must match the pin count on your existing fan plug).

Commonly referred to as "HD Cooling" this system is also highly recommended when towing in hot places or long distances. It originally came as a factory upgrade too.

Searching for HD cooling upgrade on this forum should get you TONS of results to sift through for your missing information.

Dave_too

Reaction score
I used the service manual parts diagrams to figure out what part #'s I needed in order to upgrade to HD cooling.

as I understand you cannot simply swap electric to clutch and call it good.

Here is a short list of what I used to do it (sorry no part #'s):
new mechanical fan clutch and blade (attaches to existing water pump pulley)
new Larger fan shroud for the mechanical fan
new lower profile electrical fan (must match the pin count on your existing fan plug).

Commonly referred to as "HD Cooling" this system is also highly recommended when towing in hot places or long distances. It originally came as a factory upgrade too.

Searching for HD cooling upgrade on this forum should get you TONS of results to sift through for your missing information.
Good point about the pin count! I'd forgotten that aspect.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A mechanical fan alone won't cut it. You either need to have both or a solid electric one. I have the tow package with both fans and when my electric fan stopped working, on hot days at idle the mechanical could neither keep the engine from overheating nor keep the condenser cool enough, which made the ac blow only hot air.

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange, mine only has the big mechanical fan and that manages fine, towing, ac and traffic.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange, mine only has the big mechanical fan and that manages fine, towing, ac and traffic.
Overseas yours may have been built differently. US domestic models either got a single electric fan or (as mentioned) low profile electric in concert with a plastic clutch fan.
Looking to change my fan from the stock electric to a clutch fan (hydrologic) anyone have a how to what to do what not to do part numbers ect any help is appreciated
I think I still have these parts laying around from a swap I didn't get the chance to do (I hate throwing away good parts). I can check if you'd like.

scbison

Reaction score
Overseas yours may have been built differently. US domestic models either got a single electric fan or (as mentioned) low profile electric in concert with a plastic clutch fan.

I think I still have these parts laying around from a swap I didn't get the chance to do (I hate throwing away good parts). I can check if you'd like.
I'll get 2nd in line on this from OP in case he isn't interested. I have this on my list to do.