Convert from 2 wd to 4 wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlaskanJeepster

Reaction score
I am looking at converting a 2005 kj 2wd to a 4wd using a donor 2006 liberty that was rolled. Has anyone attempted this? If so what kind of issues did you have? Can it even be done?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I think you'll likely be in for more work then you anticipate. Computers and wiring could be very different. 05 was 3 wire abs, 06 may be 4, 05 has throttle cable, 06 may be drive by wire. Those are just a couple off the top, but I'd suspect you'd find more along the way. I have an 05 2wd with a blown engine, but better body than my 05 4x4 sitting in the driveway. I considered swapping everything over for maybe 5 minutes before I decided it wasn't worth it. But I already have 4x4 and you're looking to gain it might be more insentive for you.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 06 is not drive by wire. Didn’t all that start with the KK?

AlaskanJeepster

Reaction score
Thanks for the information and advise. I know it would take a bit of work to pull this off. I have shop with a lift in it and an engine hoist. I have the mechanical knowledge to do it. I just don't know if al off the mounting brackets are there on the 2wd model to accept the 4wd components. I have access to the 4wd donor rig and it is complete so I can take what ever it takes to make this work. I am only looking at this because I can purchase both rigs for less than $2000.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything can be accomplished with time, money, and will. If you go for it, catalog for the enjoyment and information of future generations.

DragonaMx

Reaction score
I've made it for US$1800 in Mexico. The hard part was to find all the pieces, the installation was pretty easy, the KJ 2WD has all necessary holes to bolt in the new pieces

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information and advise. I know it would take a bit of work to pull this off. I have shop with a lift in it and an engine hoist. I have the mechanical knowledge to do it. I just don't know if al off the mounting brackets are there on the 2wd model to accept the 4wd components. I have access to the 4wd donor rig and it is complete so I can take what ever it takes to make this work. I am only looking at this because I can purchase both rigs for less than $2000.
Everything is the same suspension wise, bolt holes etc . They did not build a 2 wheel drive setup and also a 4 wheel drive one
all rolled off the same assembly line built the same except for some got the front diff/ transfer case etc some did not
The computer issues will be the challenging part
Whole different world that say doing an XJ
I did 9 XJs over the years ( 96-2003 ), bought two wheel drives in southern states , had the parts up here , a day or so work, had a 4 wheel drive ready to flip
Paid cash for the 04 KJ that way LOL

While I had it down I would suggest a new suspension from OME , then it would be set, ready to go