Convential Oil, who uses what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
The only time I've seen oil that dirty was a combination of several different oils, that was getting dumped at jiffy lube from my catch basin, and that was from 2 cars, atv, and a lawnmower.
It definitely looked pretty gross -- must be the way my wife drives! drive.gif (just kidding) (whistle)

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's all good man, why would be offended...the caravan is still a dc vehicle, and ur mom drives a kj...it's u that should be ashamed for not driving a dc vehicle....LOL...(j/k's)[/quote]

Just for the record, I bought a brand new 1991 YJ when they decided to put the 4.0L in, lots of fun with the 5sp. Before the GMC I had a 1995 Ram 2500 X-cab long bed with the V-10...that's a whole lotta truck. The motor was killer, stop light drags were a blast looking over at the expressions on the faces of the surprised opponents. And someday when I'm done paying for college I plan to buy a '68 Road Runner with the 383 and 4sp, that's if I'm not dead first!

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
Synthetic or not, 7K between changes is just SCARY to me

This isnt your father's synthetic (or even dino) oil. The stuff they make now can easily deal with 10k-15k intervals even. Not to mention lots of companies like VW, BMW are saying the recomended interval is 10k (with synth use) and supply synth from the factory.

In my KJ I just passed 40k and have been using Valvoline 5w30 synth from the first oil change (at 6k intervals). My driving makes a 6k interval work out to ever 2-3 months (40k in 13 months of ownership). Oil is darker than when it went in but is never dark enough for concern.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found this on Mobil1's site:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance
You've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a new high-endurance motor oil with 36 percent more anti-wear additives and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed.
link to site

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SRotblat said:
marlonjbt said:
Synthetic or not, 7K between changes is just SCARY to me

This isnt your father's synthetic (or even dino) oil. .

Very good point, even dino oil today is light years ahead of the stuff they told our parents to change every 2500-3000 miles. It's similar to when our Grandparents thought Elvis was an evil demon the way he shook those hips, you are bound to run into some resistance with any kind of change.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, all changed over. Initial experiance. It smoothed out the cold engine start up, and in my opinion, incredibly smooth acceleration from 1000 to 2000 rpm. Seems to be more quiet as well. Excellent. =P~ (Damn that drain plug was really on there!)

Has anybody used Castrol Syntech Full Synthetic? Heard good or bad?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
Has anybody used Castrol Syntech Full Synthetic? Heard good or bad?

I use to use it in my Honda. But I saw something that Castrol was cowing to some environmental group. So I wrote them a letter complaining about their cowing, and they sent me a form letter that didn't even respond to my letter. Their in the business of selling oil, so just admit it and don't try and apologize for it. So I went to Mobile 1.

But to answer your question, I did ask my engine mechanic that. His response was that one is just as good as the other. Again, he just said to change it every 6k or 6 months. But, the link above to Neptune, those guys seem to think that 8k is fine considering that you'll probably add oil from time to time.

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started using Mobil 1 at about 6k and have 37k now. I change the filter every 3k and the oil every 6k. The oil does get pretty dark, even at 3k. No way I'd run it more than 6k.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I was talking to a guy who owns, flanagan sauerkraut, the largest sauerkraut producer in the world. He was going on and on about how they used to go through engines in all their tractors, until they switch to synthetic oils. He said after switching to synthetics all the overheating problems they had went away. More importantly overall operating costs of running the tractors dropped significantly, from the engines lasting so much longer. This pretty much sold me on synthetics after talking to him. Just last year we started putting synthetic oils in our boat and it noticeably ran a little bit of a lower temp as according to the guage. So I do think synthetics are indeed a much better oil.

Same thing with the corvette, if you put anything other than mobile 1 into the engine it will actually void your warranty.

My mom's car, Saab (4cylinder Turbo), also runs Mobile 1. Believe it or not they recommend it to be changed every 10,000 miles and my dads corvette(8cylinder 5.7L) runs about 6000 miles till each oil change. So I am thinking the size of the motor MIGHT have direct relationship with service interval.

but the stuff works and if I can make my liberty motor last a little bit longer all the better.
Bennett

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
I was talking to a guy who owns, flanagan sauerkraut, the largest sauerkraut producer in the world.

threadjacked.gif

YUM! Any free samples?! Sauerkraut, sausages and beer!

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Bennett said:
I was talking to a guy who owns, flanagan sauerkraut, the largest sauerkraut producer in the world.

threadjacked.gif

Ewww, yuck. You can tell I grew up in the south. I hate sauerkraut puke.gif

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yoda13 said:
grogiefrog said:
Bennett said:

threadjacked.gif

Ewww, yuck. You can tell I grew up in the south. I hate sauerkraut puke.gif

I one time went to an old German restaurant in up-state NY (on my only visit to NY). I had been a custom to eating southern potato salad (although I did not grow up in the South), which from what I understand is heavy on the mustard. Well at this German place, they served sweat potato salad. I did not like it! I guess it's all from what you grow up with. Speaking of the South, now I also love grits. But my wife doesn't like them so she won't buy them. Grits with a lot of salt and butter... OKAY... TIME TO HIT THE FRIDGE!

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread has started to make me hungry as well....wonder if I have anything good in the fridge? :-k

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
hm from oil to food....
still kinda goes with the thread...cuz..technically, food is kinda like our oil....in a sense... :-k :-s

hot dogs got to me...time to get some buns... =P~

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife is making a homemade pizza right now. She makes her own seasoned dough... not just sticky white dough... but hearty bread on it's own with parmesan cheese baked in. It's the best pizza I have yet to have had. And we're having a fine Italian red while it's in the oven! Now remember, I did say that I was jacking the thread, lol!

I'll save you guys a piece. =P~

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
My wife is making a homemade pizza right now. She makes her own seasoned dough... not just sticky white dough... but hearty bread on it's own with parmesan cheese baked in. It's the best pizza I have yet to have had. And we're having a fine Italian red while it's in the oven! Now remember, I did say that I was jacking the thread, lol!

I'll save you guys a piece. =P~

thanks

<----starving....... =P~ =P~ O:)

sbelkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work as an monitor( Forest Officer) for Forestry and Oil and gas developments (drilling etc) for the province here in Alberta (Public Lands & Forests Division). I always get a chuckle when I hear people debating gas types etc, since it all comes out of the same ground. There are literally 1000's of companies that drill and explore for this stuff but they end up selling it to about 2 companies (Petro Can and Chevron here in ALberta) who refine the crude oil into something useable.

As far as engine oil goes, there is no doubt there is some additives better than others, but I use the Mopar brand (5W-30) so it will turn over in the winter. (canada)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a refinery near me that I see a number of brands of fuel tankers drive away from there. So much for having brand loyalty! rollinglaugh.gif