Conveinence factors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two question for everyone.

1) Is it possible (and easy) to disable the locks from locking if you go past 15 mph?

2) Has anyone ever put Auotmatic Up window switches. There is already automatic down, but i want Auto Down and Up for both front and back. Would i just have to find some pieces from a junker and install those?

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can disable the autolock with an EVIC, and I'm pretty sure you can do it without the EVIC. Check the owner's manual.

As for the windows, not having auto-up is a safety feature to prevent kids and pets from rolling the windows up on the necks. I'm not sure how to work around that.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VTNomad said:
You can disable the autolock with an EVIC, and I'm pretty sure you can do it without the EVIC. Check the owner's manual.
Unfortunately if you don't have an EVIC the only way to change it is to go to a dealer and have the BCM flashed. I really wish I could change it myself, but I've learned to live with it...

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank ya

ill check the manual. i thought about people doing that but i dont have kids or dogs. and anyone that can manage to stick their head out the window and reach the center console to roll the window up on their neck would be a god in my eyes. think ill prolly just have to find some units from a junked liberty.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have on occasion seen window controls on Ebay, check there. I also would like auto-down for the back windows.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do have that feature in some cars - especially for the sunroof. I believe what they do is have some kind of sensor to know if it is closing on something (arm, finger, neck, dog, child, etc) and stops it (like how a garage door does). If you don't include the auto-close feature, you can skimp out on a sensor, and it probably costs them a lot less.

I just hate the acrobatics I have to do to turn off the ignition and close all 4 windows and the sunroof at the same time, I feel like I need an extra arm. I would definitely risk passenger safety if I could auto-close my windows.

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autolocks

it says nothing in the manual about disabling the automatic locking of doors if you go above 15 mph. it just says that they will lock if :

1) the doors are close &
2) you go above 15 mph &
3) the gas pedal is depressed

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive slower!!! (rotflmao)

You can definately disable it with the EVIC in the 2005/06. Perhaps not in older models.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switches

In the next couple of years they'll be doing away with switches entirely and will be replacing them with dials/knobs similar to the stock radio volume knob.

How dumb do these kids and dogs have to be? I'd like to know some statistics on how many die a year, I bet it's less than 15. I don't have kids yet That I know of), but I have a couple of dogs, and I'm willing to put the lives of my dogs and the lives of my future children at risk, for the sake of my convenience.

Natural selection...it's only natural.

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not always about the kids/dogs/people rolling the window up on themselves.

Imagine you are driving down the highway and little Billy rolls the window down. You don't want him to have it down so you hit the auto up button. Then you get distracted by some dick in an Xterra cutting you off! Little Billy wants the window down, but can't reach the window controls so he grabs the top of the window as it's going up, trying to pull it down, but it just keeps going and..... oooops! No more fingers for little Billy!!!

My VW Jetta had auto up and down for front windows but no auto for the rears. The fronts had pinch protection so if there was any pressure on the window when it was going up, it would just go back down. What I really miss is the all open/close from the door key. I could stick the key in the door and turn it to the left to unlock the doors and disarm the alarm, but if I held it to the left, it would roll down the front and back windows. Cooled the car down quick like in the summer. Then if I forgot to roll up any of the windows (the sunroof was always a culprit) I could turn the key to the right and hold it to close all the windows and the sunroof!!! It was great. :(

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now what would be sweet is a seperate switch...like something to the left of the steering wheel that would control all windows... maybe not the best solution but more simple.... now to get more complicated- i want to tell my windows to roll down. like, "back window up". I'd like that :)....dang that's far fetched