Consumer Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie: "They praised the Honda Passport for its reliability and build quality"

Consumers Reports
(06) Used Cars To Avoid: Honda Passport 99-02

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
That was before they got busted for it.

It was back in the late 90s when they did that.

Probably before you were even able to play pokemon :p

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not just cars and trucks they rate with bias, but anything Sony a few years back was always rated high, I bought many products early on from their suggestions and was burned with the junk I purchased.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never owned a car that has rated decent on the CR rankings. Nor do I know anyone, and we all have very reliable vehicles. That is one of the things I don't pay attention them for, as they are very asiatic enfatuated in the automobile world. Not to start no ****, but when calling the Hyundai Genisis a sport car, all the people that complain that it isn't but they never said it was an AMERICAN sports car. Not that I would ever own one, but come on, a cheap 25K 300 hp POS to compete with high end sports sedans? Let them have their day in the sun and be done with it. They are trying to bring back Buick as a sports car so let someone else really reach. I myself would go Taurus SHO. Also, all the Sony knockers... I have yet to buy something that wasn't out done by a sony product. I know a lot of people with HP computers, even Dell and Toshiba. I bought a Gateway after I got rid of my Sony desktop and Sony's rule. Even my Sony camera and video camera blow away anything in the same price or spec range. If Sony made alcohol I am drinking I would add that to the list of bad ass **** Sony makes. But go figure, I have a Wii. My cheap a$$ couldn't pop for a PS3. So my Sony laptop is my blue ray player.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow the money.

Get a good auditor/accountant to infiltrate the place and scrutinize the money trail which will lead to the ratings.

Where's Atrus?..........:D

Dave

Reporting for duty, sir!

Never said I was good though :rolleyes: :D

You can set up a test to do whatever you want, and make numbers tell whatever story you want them to. Here's a good article: http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

Everyone needs to approach tests, reports, and "facts" with professional skepticism. Play devil's advocate first before accepting it for face value.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Everything I've had with Sony's name on it has been nothing but unsatisfactory.

Actually they might have been worse than that. Even my (original) Playstation wasn't that reliable.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie's 2nd PS2 and his 1998-vintage shelf stereo are awesome.

The Sony head unit he bought in 2002 and his first PS2 were absolute junk.

Many other examples of great and shit can follow, but these are the most relevant ones.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sony is ok....but there are other brands I like better.

You keep saying that. Watch what happens when your Sony product turns into my sister's computer with missing keys and on its 3rd charger, or my PS2 which was DOA, and its replacement was not much better, oh and my Sony stereo system which only lasted me one year, and while we're talking about Sony, my mom's Sony surround sound system which halfway works to this day....
Need I say more?

Reaction score
my sony head unit and head phones are great. everything else they have is trash. especially the xplod subs and ps2's

Reaction score
Continue knocking.

Although OVERALL it seems like Sony is having much better luck with the PS3 than Microsoft with the XBOX360.

wrong. sony has had multiple recalls. they keep their shit quiet. and the network just effed up and erased everyones memory that had a bigger ps3. it has never out sold the xbox and it wont outlast the xbox. have fun buying new blu ray drives because those things eat em up like a wj smashes front brake pads

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continue knocking.

Although OVERALL it seems like Sony is having much better luck with the PS3 than Microsoft with the XBOX360.

Haha i still have my original PS2 from when it first came out. I use to use it a lot and actually even pulled it off my TV stand a few times, destroyed the games, but the PS2 itself still works somehow..

Markus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never owned a car that has rated decent on the CR rankings. Nor do I know anyone, and we all have very reliable vehicles. That is one of the things I don't pay attention them for, as they are very asiatic enfatuated in the automobile world. Not to start no ****, but when calling the Hyundai Genisis a sport car, all the people that complain that it isn't but they never said it was an AMERICAN sports car. Not that I would ever own one, but come on, a cheap 25K 300 hp POS to compete with high end sports sedans? Let them have their day in the sun and be done with it. They are trying to bring back Buick as a sports car so let someone else really reach. I myself would go Taurus SHO. Also, all the Sony knockers... I have yet to buy something that wasn't out done by a sony product. I know a lot of people with HP computers, even Dell and Toshiba. I bought a Gateway after I got rid of my Sony desktop and Sony's rule. Even my Sony camera and video camera blow away anything in the same price or spec range. If Sony made alcohol I am drinking I would add that to the list of bad ass **** Sony makes. But go figure, I have a Wii. My cheap a$$ couldn't pop for a PS3. So my Sony laptop is my blue ray player.

Sony does make a lot of good products...but when it comes to computers they have a much higher repair requirement rate than a lot of the top manufacturers.

I'm a computer salesman, and I try not to sell sony for this reason.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha i still have my original PS2 from when it first came out. I use to use it a lot and actually even pulled it off my TV stand a few times, destroyed the games, but the PS2 itself still works somehow..

I barely ever played my PS2 and went through two of them. After the second one died, I got fed up and bought an XBOX. I still have it actually and play it from time to time. It is also what led me to buy a 360 instead of a PS3. My 360 is still going strong too.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I barely ever played my PS2 and went through two of them. After the second one died, I got fed up and bought an XBOX. I still have it actually and play it from time to time. It is also what led me to buy a 360 instead of a PS3. My 360 is still going strong too.

Yeah my 360 is still good, actually playing it as i type this. My one buddy has gone through 3 with the red ring since i got mine, another buddy had one go.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my 360 is still good, actually playing it as i type this. My one buddy has gone through 3 with the red ring since i got mine, another buddy had one go.

I have heard of the problems, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I use the stupid thing more for watching netflix movies then playing vidyah games these days.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sony does make a lot of good products...but when it comes to computers they have a much higher repair requirement rate than a lot of the top manufacturers.

I'm a computer salesman, and I try not to sell sony for this reason.
I'm still on my Sony laptop,almost 5 years old and zero issues,gave my original PS2 to my niece about 3 years ago and it's still going strong(bought in '98),my sony digital camera I've had for 5 years still works great(don't need anything fancy and it cost me $100 back then),and my PS3 is still working like a champ(had for almost 2 years now,mainly used as a blueray player).Never really had any issue with sony products.My XBox 360 is also doing great(have had for 3 years,no red ring of death),lots of Halo play time on it also(and FalloutIII).

Latest posts

Members online