Considering a KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad Schmidt

Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 2005 Liberty Sport with a 3.7L V6, Automatic Transmission and the CommandTrac transfer case (2H 4H N 4L). It has just over 210k miles on it and over all is in pretty condition. It has been owned by a friend for most of its life so i know it has been taken care of and well maintained. But I still want to know if there is anything in particular I should be aware of? He says that it does seem to use some oil but I have seen a few places suggest that this may just be a PCV valve issue. Other than that and the usual squeaks and rattles of a 14 year old vehicle with 200,000+ miles, it seems to be a great option for the price he is asking for it.

Any insights in to purchasing my first KJ would be highly appreciated so thanks in advance for your time.

Brad Schmidt

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 03 for about nine years bought it with about 120k mines and now have about 225k in the time that I have owned it I've replaced radiator, power steering pump, front drive shaft, alternator and some bushings here and there + regular maintenance parts ( brakes, spark plugs, tires, and fluids). Definitely not the best MPGs but a great truck none the less.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd get the transmission scanned for codes, my factory trans went at 150k. Other than that, great vehicles. I'm at 186k now and would drive it across the country tomorrow, just need to call the gas stations in advance. :D

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03, bought with 60,660 miles in 2009. I now have 143,000 miles on it and have replaced almost nothing. I've had to replace the blower motor resistor for the heater fan, fluid changes of course and other maintenance items, but hardware-wise, it's been mechanically sound and has been good to me.

Clearly fuel mileage is not stellar, but I didn't buy it for that. Still, 17.5mpg winter, 19-23mpg summer is respectable.

You're going to want to inspect the undercarriage and all suspension parts. Gaurentee you will want to replace the springs/shocks. The stuff from the factory and OE-level replacements are too weak for the weight and characteristics of the Jeep, they will weaken and sag and lower the ride height, get squishy in turns and corners and the ride quality will suffer. So budget for that. Figure on $600-$900 depending on parts chosen and how good a quality you want.

Tires in good shape? A Jeep KJ loves good tires... everything else is made better by quality, good condition tires.

Other than that, just check to make sure everything works. Look at all the fluids... make sure, that unless they were literally JUST DONE, you exchange them. Brake fluid, power steering fluid are important too, DONT FORGET ABOUT THEM. Everyone does.

Make sure to use HAOT coolant only, like G-05. Do not vary from this.

Stuff's already been said about the trans. The 42RLE is not the bulletproof unit we all wish it was, but it's not total and complete garbage either. It just needs to stay cool and have fresh fluid and filters ran through it.

How do you plan to use the KJ? On-road daily driver? Off-road trail blasting beast?