Confusion on iPod interfaces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blaz0

Reaction score
First of all, hello... New member here. Have been lurking and checking out these forums for the past few weeks. Also was somewhat a selling point for my new Liberty as well. Seems that everyone here is very happy and pleased with their vehicles, so I went and checked one out. I originally wanted a Cherokee, but after looking at numerous ones, I realized it would be awhile before I found one that was as clean as I was looking for. Okay, getting off-topic before I start. Nice site here and a nice lil community.

Now my dilema... I have been reading and researching the iPod interfaces. I have an '05 Liberty Sport with the RBK radio(am/fm, CD). I read the whole thread on the Mopar adaptor but didn't find much reference to how it works with the RBK seems everyone has the RB1 nav radio.

I was reading about this unit : http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uW7zu5qmLiV/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=305250&I=581PA11CHR
This one doesn't seem to use the radio to navigate through the iPod.

The Mopar unit seems nice:
http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/moipinkit.html
The description says it displays the playlist info right on the radio.

My questions are : How do these compare?(They are about $30 difference in price), Does the Mopar one work as described with the RBK radio?(Control through deck, display artist info through radio display). Overall opinions between the two.

Sorry this is such a long-winded post, but much help is appreciated. This going back to CD stuff is driving me crazy.

-B.

Last edited:

Nova69

Reaction score
Another Option

I can't help with your original question, but here's another option. For $10 more, you can replace the headunit with this one that's ipod ready. Just plug in the included cable and you're good to go. I just put one on my play car (2006 Sebring convertible) and it works great. The sound is much better than what you get from the OEM radio.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jrUs9n0qB0g/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=105KDPDR30

Blaz0

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm looking to keep the stock head unit.

After looking for more info last night, I did find out that the RBK does not support RDS. If I'm not mistaken, RDS is responsible for displaying artist name, titles, etc. So I guess the Mopar interface still will not work as well on the RBK as it would on a RB1 or RBQ. I plan on still researching more, and hopefully I can get some good answers.

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an ebay version, works great through the stock units cd changer spot, and you can navigate through the ipod with the buttons on the stock unit. 70 bucks i think i spent plus shipping. i think it works better with the cd/nav rb stock unit as well

ryanmcv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm looking to keep the stock head unit.

After looking for more info last night, I did find out that the RBK does not support RDS. If I'm not mistaken, RDS is responsible for displaying artist name, titles, etc. So I guess the Mopar interface still will not work as well on the RBK as it would on a RB1 or RBQ. I plan on still researching more, and hopefully I can get some good answers.
I have an RB1 nav radio along with the Mopar iPod Integration Kit, and I love it. It is very easy to navigate through your playlists and artists, and the song/artist info on the screen is quite nice. Here are some pics of the RB1 and Mopar iPod kit: Click here

However, I would not recommend using the Mopar iPod kit on anything other than the RB1. When it's used with the RBK, you have to navigate using voice-prompts rather than on-screen messages, making it extremely difficult to find the songs/artists that you want. In addition, no song/artist info will be displayed on the RBK's screen. The RBK is considered a "base" radio (a nicer way of saying "cheap"). Therefore, it is unable to display any info on the screen.

Bottom line: if you want to go with the Mopar iPod kit, I would highly recommend having the RB1 radio to go along with it. With the RBK, you're going to want to start kicking your speakers when the robotic voice starts talking to you while you try to find a song to play.

You can find a perfectly good RB1 on eBay for as little as $500. If you aren't willing to shell out the bucks for an RB1, however, you can always go with another "premium" radio such as the RBP or RBQ, which can be found on eBay for about $200. The premium radios at least allow you to navigate through the iPod using on-screen menus rather than voice-promts and show some song/artist info (up to 10 characters I believe), but it simply won't be as nice-looking as on the RB1.

Last edited:

Blaz0

Reaction score
Nice info ryanmcv. Maybe I will seek an aftermarket solution after all. The cost of the adaptor and a new-to-me factory model(rb1,rbp/q) would probably cost more than a new HU and offer possibly even less functionality. I have been looking at the navigation radio as it seems like a nice piece. A bit expensive, considering the choices in protable GPS'. But the idea of having everything integrated into one unit is a nice plus. I have seen some people's driver area look like a test lab with all sorts of devices attached here and plugged in there;).

How well does the navigation radio perform? How detailed are the maps? Do they show all the little county and seasonal roads? In the future I plan on looking into some type of GPS unit and should honestly weigh my options rather than buying 5 different pieces of equipment that one unit could do.

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the peripheral adapter works great also just finished the install of the proclip holder for the iPod another great buy.

ryanmcv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well does the navigation radio perform? How detailed are the maps? Do they show all the little county and seasonal roads? In the future I plan on looking into some type of GPS unit and should honestly weigh my options rather than buying 5 different pieces of equipment that one unit could do.
Haha, I know exactly what you mean with the whole "test lab" in the driver's area. Me brother has his Land Rover set up with two portable GPS hand-helds, an aftermarket iPod adapter, a radar detector, and who knows what else. I went with the RB1 to avoid that mess.

Anyways, the RB1 is a pretty decent nav system. The maps, however, are definitely not as detailed as most aftermarket units. All major roads and highways are labeled, but many subdivisions and back-roads appear on the map but are not labeled. Nevertheless, the navigation directions and voice-prompts are always spot-on. The RB1 has always led me directly to my destination and has never been wrong or taken me the wrong way.

But I do agree with you about the portability. It kind of ***** that I can't just take the nav system out of my jeep whenever I need it and put it in another car, but that's the price you have to pay for having an all-in-one unit like the RB1.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.