Cold Weather Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tundraboar

Reaction score
I'm looking for a block heater for my Jeep KJ. We are living in the mountains in Idaho and there have been several times when our rig just won't start in the mornings. Temps in the -10 to -20 range are not uncommon. If it gets warm later in the day (into the 20's), it will usually start then. Time for a block heater, and I would love to get recommendations.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a block heater for my Jeep KJ. We are living in the mountains in Idaho and there have been several times when our rig just won't start in the mornings. Temps in the -10 to -20 range are not uncommon. If it gets warm later in the day (into the 20's), it will usually start then. Time for a block heater, and I would love to get recommendations.
How’s the battery health? Get it tested. Also, what weight oil you running? Those of us in the brutal cold climates have to run different oil weights in winter.

tundraboar

Reaction score
How’s the battery health? Get it tested. Also, what weight oil you running? Those of us in the brutal cold climates have to run different oil weights in winter.
Battery is new. And I'm using 5W-30 synthetic oil. I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck and if I don't keep it plugged in, it will do the same thing.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What year is your Jeep, 3.7 engine?
All Canadian Kj's came with a block heater. Check to see if you have one. 3 prong plug was well hidden under the air filter box.
You can call a dealer for part availability, but many choose to have it installed by dealer.
See attached images.
With good full synthetic 5w-30 oil the Jeep should fire up easily if the battery is any good.

Best battery for really cold weather are AGM (absorb glass mat) 700 + Cold cranking amps.
I use an Odyssey AGM battery Pc-1500DT and averages 1300 CCA when new.
Exide Edge, Napa, Northstar, Odyssey AGM's perform excellent in very cold weather.
Using a 4.3 amp C-tek trickle charger overnight should also make it fire right up.
Alternatively a 120 volt battery blanket plugged in works good.

Attachments

• Block Heater KJ 04.jpg
    Block Heater KJ 04.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Block Heater Cord 1.jpg
    Block Heater Cord 1.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Odyssey Info .jpg
    Odyssey Info .jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Battery is new. And I'm using 5W-30 synthetic oil. I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck and if I don't keep it plugged in, it will do the same thing.

With diesels is to be expected. With gassers, this indicates there is something(s) elsewhere going on. We get those types of temps here too…and even the 58 VW will start.

But, I’ll leave it to our resident really cold weather experts.

tundraboar

Reaction score
What year is your Jeep, 3.7 engine?
All Canadian Kj's came with a block heater. Check to see if you have one. 3 prong plug was well hidden under the air filter box.
You can call a dealer for part availability, but many choose to have it installed by dealer.
See attached images.
With good full synthetic 5w-30 oil the Jeep should fire up easily if the battery is any good.

Best battery for really cold weather are AGM (absorb glass mat) 700 + Cold cranking amps.
I use an Odyssey AGM battery Pc-1500DT and averages 1300 CCA when new.
Exide Edge, Napa, Northstar, Odyssey AGM's perform excellent in very cold weather.
Using a 4.3 amp C-tek trickle charger overnight should also make it fire right up.
Alternatively a 120 volt battery blanket plugged in works good.
This one is a 2005 model. I believe it's a 2.7 Liter engine. No block heater came with it. Part of the problem is that we're 3+ hours away from the nearest dealer. I talked to the local NAPA store, but they couldn't find anything in their normal suppliers. The battery we have seems fine. The pre-heat signal on the dash is working and indicates that it is ready to start, but then it just sits there and turns over without firing. Fuel is treated with Howes additive. We haven't had any real problems in the past, but it is getting older. Almost 200K miles on it now.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok.. so you have a diesel CRD Jeep then.
Call over to your closest dealer, give them your VIN number, & they can probably ship the correct block heater to you.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
If it is a diesel it's a 2.8. Check along the engine oil dipstick tube for the block heater wire. Block heater is located on the driver's side of the engine.

Alan

Reaction score
I owned a Lib CRD for 10 years in southern BC interior. Yes you need a block heater when you are below app 20-25F for guaranteed starts. A good battery, good fuel filter, clean air filter, and fuel conditioner all help but the block heater is the answer.

cindysjeep

Reaction score
When I can't plug in the Jeep, I recently tried cycling my glowplugs when it is lower twenties (f) and colder.
I'll turn the key on, wait until the chiming stops, turn it off and repeat 3 times, then crank it to start.
Seems to help.
Not sure if it is ******* the glowplugs. I think they are original (about 150K miles on it).

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
When I can't plug in the Jeep, I recently tried cycling my glowplugs when it is lower twenties (f) and colder.
I'll turn the key on, wait until the chiming stops, turn it off and repeat 3 times, then crank it to start.
Seems to help.
Not sure if it is ******* the glowplugs. I think they are original (about 150K miles on it).
If you have OEM ceramic glowplugs it's a good idea to change to 5 volt metal glowplugs. The ceramic glowplugs break and pieces rattle around with the valves and piston making a mess and sometimes destroying the engine.