Coffee Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the years I've bought various 12v DC to 120v AC inverters to power stuff from campground lights to laptop computers. From 75w to 400w.

Well last week I bought a big one, hopefully my last one, a 1,750w model.
You must be registered for see images attach

From a set of booster cables I fabricated the connection to my Libby's battery but soon realized that to brew coffee I'd have to add a second set of booster cables. I'm going to need a heavier set of cables.

Already I have an idea of mounting the inverter in a sturdy carrying box c/w a second battery. It would make for a portable 110v AC supply and a booster box for jump starting.

Has anybody else fabricated a unique inverter setup?

hmmmm...what do you suppose a 3,000w inverter would cost?

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already I have an idea of mounting the inverter in a sturdy carrying box c/w a second battery. It would make for a portable 110v AC supply and a booster box for jump starting.

Has anybody else fabricated a unique inverter setup?

Planning to build one too...

hmmmm...what do you suppose a 3,000w inverter would cost?

Don't know really ( a US made one over 1k, I guess...).

3KW are going to kill Your battery though. Even for a short time it's a no no. Unless of course You want one
because of it's larger load margin...

Above 1 KW, 24V (or more) DC input inverters are safer, You'd need copper bars instead of cables otherwise
( Ohm's law rules, always).

Keep in mind that automotive batteries are intended for cranking, not for deep discharges,unlike RV or marine
models,which, on the contrary, do allow that, but at an higher price and less peak power per unit ( You'll need more).
Said that, many folks I know just use car batteries, even though they kill them, they break even anyway...

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a small 400 in the back of my jeep that i use all the time. i wish i had a 1000 or slightly more but im waiting on a killer deal to come along

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, I managed to buy a brand new 1,500 watt inverter. I'll return the 1,750 watt flaky inverter before the 30 day warranty on it expires.

If I do fabricate a portable battery box/inverter setup I'll still connect it to a second live battery in a running vehicle with jumper cables to get the maximum output power. I believe high power inverters work best on two battery setups.

I've heard some people use their inverters to power electric chainsaws however they often take over 2,000 watts to start & 1,500 watts to run.

Right, copper bars would be a good idea but until then I'll use heavy gauge welding cables.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using any kind of fuse on those booster cables? Pretty neat idea for camping, etc. The whole box idea seems cool, but kinda troublesome. It would be nice to just have it mounted in the Jeep with an extra Deep Cycle battery thats charged when the Jeep it on but doesnt discharge the starting battery when the Jeep isnt running.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using any kind of fuse on those booster cables? Pretty neat idea for camping, etc. The whole box idea seems cool, but kinda troublesome. It would be nice to just have it mounted in the Jeep with an extra Deep Cycle battery thats charged when the Jeep it on but doesnt discharge the starting battery when the Jeep isnt running.

I believe the inverter's manual recommends a 200A fuse. I'll look into the idea of installing one of those for safety.

Again I don't expect to be able to actually get the maximum wattage out of an inverter without connecting it to a running vehicle's battery. The idea of carrying the battery/inverter about is to provide flexibility. I can carry it to where it's needed. A bonus too is that I can give anybody a boost should their battery die.

I plan to charge the portable battery with a 110 VAC charger in my garage before my trips. Wiring up a charging circuit in the Jeep could be more difficult.

Hey, I just got a great idea. I could put the portable battery/inverter setup in my canoe to power my trolling motor plus maybe a TV to watch while fishing. What do you think?

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar idea with an old no-name redtop cell sitting in the basement and the Canadian Tire inverter - leave it to the Aussies with a million accessories and their ARB fridges to come up with Liberty dual battery and charging ideas...

Cool thread:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100559

That is a unique solution.

LibertyFever:
I've seen people use relays similar to old school starter relays in their inverter setup so it was only on with the ignition (ice cream man who used 110volt freezers). They hard wired it all in and used industrial fuses similar to the one pictured and connected using a bolt drilled in the tab and bolted to a terminal on the wire
You must be registered for see images attach

Members online

No members online now.