coasting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wondering if its bad to coast with an automatic, then shift it back into drive at any speed? Ive always heard this is ******* the tourqe converter. Is this true? If so why, if not why.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wondering if its bad to coast with an automatic, then shift it back into drive at any speed? Ive always heard this is ******* the tourqe converter. Is this true? If so why, if not why.
You shouldn't "cruise" with a auto,yes it is ******* the TC and many other internal ****** parts,not to mention your u-joints and rear diff.When you go from "N" back into "D" with a auto ****** while in motion the ****** wants to start in first gear and has to shift real fast which is real ******* the components from the shock it creates.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, especially on Jeeps, Cryslers and Dodges... clunky trannies.
Sometimes I just drop it to N and rev the engine as I am approaching a red light, to hear my flowmaster gargle.

Reaction score
the flaw in a stick is you have to shift alot in traffic. bet money my kj would smoke any auto in a quarter mile or 0-60.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a stick like me. i coast so much now my ave. gas mileage went up 1.1 mpg

i hear ya. my old 70f100 is a stick and i have went from 20mpg to about 40mpg from coasting. seriously! there are lots of good downhills on my drive to work, plus 3rd gear in it slows you down or holds you from getting much speed if you just let off the gas, so i just throw it in neutral and cut the engine off. no power anything to worry about. i used to do this years ago when riding in the mountains.

Reaction score
I bet you would smoke that clutch offroad too.

Bought the Jeep to offroad, not race in a straight line. :D

when i went with the LOST guys i was riding it cuz i was scared to stall in the creek and i was getting smoke from under my hood. when i realized it wont stall in 1st i was fine

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I miss driving stick. My next vehicle will be stick. The only reason stick sometimes stinks is traffic.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer stick for offroad, because it I feel it gives me more control over the drivetrain. I ALWAYS know what gear I'm in and can select whatever gear I need at the time without it shifting up OR down. Autos aren't bad, I just prefer a manual.

As far as "smoking the clutch", there is absolutely no reason this should happen unless you're riding the #$%^ out of it while you drive. If you have a stick and know what you're doing, it won't happen. When in doubt minimize your shifting as much as you can, and take it slow.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is why would you want to put your any thing in Neutral when on the highway?
you will not save much if any at all and the little you save will be spent on premature worn breaks due to them doing all the slowing and stopping or a screwed up ****** from going from Neutral to Drive
Just let it do what it was made to do and quit trying to "beat the system"

And to those who "think" a stick is better I want you to think about a few things
in a drag race yes maybe but the gears in every thing and the engine must match as well as the right tires for the gears you have
Example a while back when the 6 speeds first came out in the TJ's a few guys swore that the TJ would "smoke" the KJ WRONG
from a dead stop he took of crazy fast but with in a few feet I caught up and over took him
Then they wanted to get rolling from about 20' back so that they could take off in second gear and I still caught up just not as fast
Then it was out to I-55 where if they got on before me that I would "never pass them" talk about a Joke passed them on the ramp

Now granted the KJ I drive has the 45??? and the KJ that one of the wrangler owners wife has is an '04 with the 42??? so that may have been the difference IDK but I fully believe that an auto KJ with the same equipment as a stick KJ will out run the stick KJ provided the driver of the auto KJ is not afraid of 5,000 RPM
and it will not hurt the engine to do 5K I do it in my TJ way more often than most and it still runs I know guys with over 100K miles on the TJ's who hit 5k more often then I do and they dont have problems

Oh and to the "off road control" thing
with the auto in my TJ and the KJ if the bumper clears it I can get up it with out jarring or bouncing around like the sticks do because I can use the breaks and the gas to control power to the wheels as well as control wheel spin on all 4 wheels and I can stop and start mid climb with out moving forward or backward
I like to think of my self and my TJ as a Ballet dancer out on the trails who knows who to Salsa
The guys with sticks are break dancers ,all over the place with no real motion

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is why would you want to put your any thing in Neutral when on the highway?
you will not save much if any at all and the little you save will be spent on premature worn breaks due to them doing all the slowing and stopping or a screwed up ****** from going from Neutral to Drive
Just let it do what it was made to do and quit trying to "beat the system"

And to those who "think" a stick is better I want you to think about a few things
in a drag race yes maybe but the gears in every thing and the engine must match as well as the right tires for the gears you have
Example a while back when the 6 speeds first came out in the TJ's a few guys swore that the TJ would "smoke" the KJ WRONG
from a dead stop he took of crazy fast but with in a few feet I caught up and over took him
Then they wanted to get rolling from about 20' back so that they could take off in second gear and I still caught up just not as fast
Then it was out to I-55 where if they got on before me that I would "never pass them" talk about a Joke passed them on the ramp

Now granted the KJ I drive has the 45??? and the KJ that one of the wrangler owners wife has is an '04 with the 42??? so that may have been the difference IDK but I fully believe that an auto KJ with the same equipment as a stick KJ will out run the stick KJ provided the driver of the auto KJ is not afraid of 5,000 RPM
and it will not hurt the engine to do 5K I do it in my TJ way more often than most and it still runs I know guys with over 100K miles on the TJ's who hit 5k more often then I do and they dont have problems

Oh and to the "off road control" thing
with the auto in my TJ and the KJ if the bumper clears it I can get up it with out jarring or bouncing around like the sticks do because I can use the breaks and the gas to control power to the wheels as well as control wheel spin on all 4 wheels and I can stop and start mid climb with out moving forward or backward
I like to think of my self and my TJ as a Ballet dancer out on the trails who knows who to Salsa
The guys with sticks are break dancers ,all over the place with no real motion
.....and guy's with manuals that offroad break more driveline parts then those with auto's since there is little to no "slip" in the clutch,with a auto the TC will keep that part breaking jarring to a min if none at all.Granted manuals will have a lower 1st gear then a auto,most auto's are far stronger then sticks,until you get to HD truck manuals,and you can build auto's stronger,manual trannies your kinda stuck with what you got.You can upgrade the clutch sometimes but not always.You'd need a min of a NV4500 manual ****** before you excced the power capicity of most stock auto trannies(the 42RLE excluded).