Cloth Seats TSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you know there was a TSB for this? 23-015-06 Judging by the warning, Chrysler must have bought a few seat covers for the problem...

SUBJECT:
White Color Water Mark-Like Discoloration On Cloth Seat Surfaces
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves cleaning the cloth seat surfaces.
MODELS:
2002 - 2006 (KJ) Liberty / Cherokee
2005 - 2006 (WK/WH) Grand Cherokee
2006 (XK/XH) Commander
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may notice a white color streaking or discoloration on the cloth surface of a
seat. The streaking may have a water mark-like residue appearance. The discoloration on
the seat cloth surface may occur after the cloth fabric becomes wet and starts to dry.
The cloth surface discoloration is due to an inert residue material (white in color) that has
migrated to the top surface of the cloth seat fabric. The water mark-like residue ring is the
loose residue material puddling and then collecting together as the cloth seat material
dries.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
(AR) NPN Dish Water Detergent
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
Clean Sponge
Soft Clean Brush
Wet / Dry Shop Vacuum
NUMBER: 23-015-06
GROUP: Body
DATE: March 09, 2006
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Perform this repair to all cloth seat surfaces in the vehicle.
NOTE: Do not replace cloth seat covers for this condition.
1. Vacuum the cloth seat fabric.
2. Mix a solution of dish water detergent and WARM water. Do not use hot or cold water.
3. With a clean sponge, wet the vehicle cloth seat fabric. Dampen the cloth seat fabric.
Do not allow to cloth seat fabric to become soaking wet or too dry.
4. With a soft brush, agitate the soap solution and the loose residue material. The intent
is to mix and suspend the loose residue material into the soap solution.
5. With COOL water, rinse the cloth seat fabric to remove the soap and residue solution.
6. With a shop vacuum, vacuum the cloth seat fabric of any excess moisture.
7. Repeat the cool water rinse and vacuum.
8. Allow the cloth seat fabric to dry.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
23-99-20-90 Clean All Cloth Seat Surfaces 0.8 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action

Last edited by a moderator:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks....hope you didn't mind I changed the title so it stands out a bit better.:)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
(AR) NPN Dish Water Detergent
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
Clean Sponge
Soft Clean Brush
Wet / Dry Shop Vacuum
NUMBER: 23-015-06
GROUP: Body
DATE: March 09, 2006
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Perform this repair to all cloth seat surfaces in the vehicle.
NOTE: Do not replace cloth seat covers for this condition.
1. Vacuum the cloth seat fabric.
2. Mix a solution of dish water detergent and WARM water. Do not use hot or cold water.
3. With a clean sponge, wet the vehicle cloth seat fabric. Dampen the cloth seat fabric.
Do not allow to cloth seat fabric to become soaking wet or too dry.
4. With a soft brush, agitate the soap solution and the loose residue material. The intent
is to mix and suspend the loose residue material into the soap solution.
5. With COOL water, rinse the cloth seat fabric to remove the soap and residue solution.
6. With a shop vacuum, vacuum the cloth seat fabric of any excess moisture.
7. Repeat the cool water rinse and vacuum.
8. Allow the cloth seat fabric to dry.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
23-99-20-90 Clean All Cloth Seat Surfaces 0.8 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action

Or option 2: Get leather.

Done.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had a problem with fabric seats until this vehicle. Who would think that bottled water leave stains? A friend has a similar problem with the fabric in his Malibu SS.

ups4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder why the TSB only involves up to 2006 KJ's. My 08 KK has the same problem and go figure, I use pretty much the same method described in the TSB to clean mine :rolleyes:.

Guess I could take it in to the dealer and let them use their dish detergent, but....nah, it's more fun doing it myself.

Paul

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my seats look great on my 02 but man o man can the floor pickup salt in the winter, its so bad it turns all white with tiny salt mountains

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
A few days ago I put my pressure washer on the passenger side rear seat to take it to my dads house. I'd guess about 2 cups of clean water drained out onto the fabric seat.
Now I too have a nasty water stain on my rear seat.:(
Well, time to clean all the seats.
More of a pain in the but than anything else really!

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
this is a constant battle with my vehicle. as it is with my mothers 05 PT Cruiser.. she took hers to the dealer and they recovered her seats.. its far to late for me to do that.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I went and spent a butt load on IGGEE covers and then this. Should take it in anyways.

I bought one of those wee Bissel Green Machine carpet cleaners for the boat. Works freakin' awesome in the KJ as well. Cargo area floor looks like new after five years of dog and stuff. Works wonders on getting salt stains out too.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Stupid question. Has anybody ever really been far as decided to remove the seat covers completely without pulling the seats?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question. Has anybody ever really been far as decided to remove the seat covers completely without pulling the seats?

What? Like pull off the factory skins and throw them in the wash? :eek:

Damn skippy, never thought of that!!

Mind you, if it's half as much work as installing the IGGEEs was, the seats gotta come out to do it right. Good thing it's not hard to do. I took my seats out to install my covers. Would of been way easier with another set of arms though. Gotta book a trip to Chernobyl and see if I can grow some.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
God. Russian guy ThunderbirdJunkie worked with told some whoppers about Chernobyl. But that's for another thread :p

Pulling the seats isn't hard, nah, pulled the seats and console last year to vacuum. But ThunderbirdJunkie did that (removed the covers leaving the seats in) with his CJ7 every time he took it topless wheeling.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I went and spent a butt load on IGGEE covers and then this. Should take it in anyways.

I bought one of those wee Bissel Green Machine carpet cleaners for the boat. Works freakin' awesome in the KJ as well. Cargo area floor looks like new after five years of dog and stuff. Works wonders on getting salt stains out too.

I luvs my Bissell Green Machine! Awesome little cleaner-upper. Especially if you have pets and/or children around the house :)

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBJ.... ever pull out the back seat? Both halves at the same time? That's why I want another pair of arms, or at least one more.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
It's not that hard. Broke the little thing for the driver's side back seat hinge that's in between the seats though. Dammit.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I luvs my Bissell Green Machine! Awesome little cleaner-upper. Especially if you have pets and/or children around the house :)

80 bucks is WAY cheaper than ThunderbirdJunkie was expecting for a carpet extractor.

Don't get it, I got mine for $80 at Big Lots, and it doesn't work. Get a steam cleaner.