Clonking noise - Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jasonwd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new noise appears.. hooray!

Front Right wheel. At first I thought it was the upper control arm but then it became rhythmic with speed. Sometimes it just goes away.

Weird thing is it stops when I brake 100% of the time. Then comes back.

Before christmas we took it in and the grease monkeys put it up on the lift, got me to put it in 4x4/D and span all the wheels up.... the crow bar'd the suspension, checked the arms, rods and wheel nothing!

We drove 4 hours to christmas and back and its pretty much the same.

any ideas what it might be?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I bet it's brake related then, check the torque on the calipers and caliper brackets. Make sure the anti rattle shims are there too.

Jasonwd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet it's brake related then, check the torque on the calipers and caliper brackets. Make sure the anti rattle shims are there too.

Irritatingly it's winter here and I have to take it to my local shop.... don't you just hate that?

I'll take it and point at things.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" Weird thing is it stops when I brake 100% of the time. Then comes back." Not weird, simply means it's a brake issue. Something's moving, applying the brake retards movement. Caliper is loose, caliper mount has wear, pads are moving about in mount, etc. I usually expect to find some sort of slider/mount bolt wear/slop when this sort of customer complaint comes in. The slightest bit of rotor warp allowing the pads to slop around in their mounting area will also create this exact complaint.