Cleaning mud off rubber trim ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Nick

Reaction score
Any tips on cleaning the rubber trim around the windows? (also around the Sky Slider top)

Dirt is a pain in the butt to get off the rubber, after a normal car wash it looks like I purposely skipped the rubber trim! I have products to shine/protect the rubber after it's cleaned... but the dirt is a PITA to remove.

Thanks,
Nick

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, that works. Simoniz tire cleaner spray (just been waiting for a reason to use that: it's been sitting on the shelf for months), let it sit a minute, wipe off with wet sponge, rinse sponge and wipe again, dry with terry-like fabric (old sweat pants torn into chunks). I'm going to do all the rubber stripping with this.

bmanice

Reaction score
Back to Black is good too.

honestly, im not a big fan of back to black from mothers, it looked good for an hour or so, than it started looking like it did previous to me using it. I havent tried it on my KJ, only on my old 98 XJ and a Fox Body 93 GT stang... after having unsatisfied results i stopped using it.

ed homer

Reaction score
cleaning rubber and black plastic

Hi Guys
I use a product called BACK TO BLACK by Mothers, any black plastic that has fared, this stuff will bring it back like new, had white water stans on black part of back bumper was going to replace it at $247.00 and the dealer said try back to balck and it worked.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For actually cleaning it, use 303 Aerospace. They sell it at most auto parts supply places and it is a very versatile product. It will not actually shine up the black, but it will remove most contaminants off it easily so you have a clean surface.

EDIT: Here is a link to the manufacturer website so you can see what the packaging looks like. http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=428

Oh, and I would not recommend the tire cleaner. It will most likely leave a very greasy look, it's hard to direct in a confined area, and I'm not sure, but you may get some fumes into the cabin from it.

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the stuff from Aerospace. Should be here in about a week. We'll see how it works. I'll do a write-up after using it and give my take on it.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
303 is excellent!
My canoing friends use it on the bottom of their Royalex canoes (as it is environmentally friendly) and even with a severally scratched bottom the canoe becomes slippery and glides even better through the water!
I never thought of using it on rubber trim.
Good tip!

Members online

No members online now.