Clanking noise rear wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I changed the oil recently at my friends garage and I noticed when I push the rear wheels up down they are moving a little bit making a clanking close. I noticed the same clanking noise while I'm driving. At the beginning I thought could be a lose exhaust or something but everything looks OK.

Do you think can be the axle bearings? Any info on how to replace?

Thanks a lot

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of the hundreds of things it could be,,, axle bearings are dead last on the list.

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you mean push them? Like tilt the axle? If so then rear upper control arm bushings/balljoint would be one thing to look at among the hundreds.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grasp the wheel at the top and bottom and i rock it. I read that bearings of the rear axle don't go bad, is really rare, but you never know. I wanna have an idea what's going...
Does anyone has an idea about working hours and labor for the bearings, which I hope are not the issue. Thanks

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're speaking up actual up/down movement of the tire/hub assembly while jacked up and unloaded, then yes you may very well have bad axle bearings. Though it's really hard to tell as compared to the slight in/out movement that they all have. If it's actual up/down movement, I'd expect to have howling/grinding sounds coming from them, as well as grease pouring out around the seals with that much play.

Bob

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no noise in the car except a little clanking noise that is coming from the right side. Is weird though cause both wheels when the car is jacked up, are moving as I said slightly in/out when I press top/bottom. Both wheels bearings to go bad is weird so I really don't know what should I do at the moment and were should I start. Help is appreciated guys. Thank a lot

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanna go e an update. The clanking noise was coming from the rear control arm, has a shape of a boomerang. Is kind of expensive but at least wasn't the bearing the issue.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yes the ole Tri-Link, I take it that the center ball joint was a clunkin?
The OEM Mopar replacement is expensive, but they do last a long time.
Aftermarket ones...ah not so much...

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
God that price is so stupid. If only it were like 100 less I would order it yesterday.

I'll eventually get one. I'm just saving dollars here and there instead of spending them on stuff I don't need....well I don't really NEED this part but damn it I want it.:happy175::icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
God that price is so stupid. If only it were like 100 less I would order it yesterday.

Really?
MMMmmmmmm If I added up all of the tri-links I have had one mine even figuring say 200 bucks a pop , I'd still be almost a 1000 bucks ahead of the game with this one
Plus so much firmer feeling on the road and off

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really?
MMMmmmmmm If I added up all of the tri-links I have had one mine even figuring say 200 bucks a pop , I'd still be almost a 1000 bucks ahead of the game with this one
Plus so much firmer feeling on the road and off
How do you figure out the sizing for the control rods that go on that thing?

Docnoisewater

Reaction score
Look into the recall for salt belt states.
Chrysler replaced the upper and lower rear arms when I took it in for the free hitch.
They saved the old ones for me to look at and they were rusty and could of broke at any moment.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So finally the bushing and ball joints from the upper control arm boomerang were finished BUT the noise is still there even after replacing the part. It drives me crazy and I don't know where is coming from.

I read in the forum that someone had the same issue and was coming from the strut upper bushing. The noise I have it feels that is coming from isinde the car but is not.

Please let me know opinions. Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you figure out the sizing for the control rods that go on that thing?

Sizing??
You mean length?
If so pretty easy if you know the proper way to sit up a driveline to prevent vibrations etc
They are adjustable for length so just twist in or out

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So guys I took out the strut and I drove without them for like 30 secs and the noise is still there. So the struts are not the problem. Then I removed the stabilizer rear bar, drove without and noise is still there. Then I loose the lower control arm to see if bushings ae in good condition and they are fine. Noise is still there and it drives me crazy. It sounds like it comes from inside liby but is not. On every small bump or really small street hole you will hear like this annoying clanking sound like rubber hits with metal. Please guys help. I can't stand it anymore... Any ideas are welcome. Thanks a lot and Happy new year