Children's Car Seat Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frikki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which car seat to get for my son. He just turned a year old, weighs about 20lbs, and is 29 inches or so tall.

We got one that is supposed to go rearward or forward, but I can't get it installed properly either way. The angles of the car seat and the Jeep seat are just too different. It has lines on the sides that are supposed to be parallel with the ground, but there is nearly a 45 degree angle difference. I've read the car seat manual and I'm positive I followed all the instructions.

So, I was hoping someone would be able to recommend a good brand of car seat that not only fits into a Liberty, but also is able to be properly installed in one.

And I don't have a lot of money to invest in one, so really nothing over $200 will work for us.

sparkman70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thay make a wedge that help out with that, but i will get the name of the car set the i have in my jeep and it fits nice on the set

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i work at a childcare facility, most parents drive to the store and pick out a car seat and try it out in the parking lot, if it dosnt fit just bring it back in until you find one that fits and is easy to work inside of your particular vehicle. Its not weird parents do it all the time and its pretty standard.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hey guys
I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which car seat to get for my son. He just turned a year old, weighs about 20lbs, and is 29 inches or so tall.

We got one that is supposed to go rearward or forward, but I can't get it installed properly either way. The angles of the car seat and the Jeep seat are just too different. It has lines on the sides that are supposed to be parallel with the ground, but there is nearly a 45 degree angle difference. I've read the car seat manual and I'm positive I followed all the instructions.

So, I was hoping someone would be able to recommend a good brand of car seat that not only fits into a Liberty, but also is able to be properly installed in one.

And I don't have a lot of money to invest in one, so really nothing over $200 will work for us.

Check with a local fire department.
Here in B.C. the fire department will install/mount free of charge and make sure it's done to spec. They even install additional anchors free of charge if need be.
(I however am not sure if fireman in your area offer that service. But nothing ventured-nothing gained!)

Can't hurt to ask.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son is 1 1/2 years old. He's a little guy at 25lbs right now. We purchased the Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat from Toys "R" Us for $179.00. You can also find them doing a search on the internet.

It can be installed both front and rear facing. In rear facing mode though, I had to install it on the passengers side of the vehicle because me at 6' foot the car seat didn't fit behind me. (Rear facing takes up alot of room).

I like the fact that it's a convertable one that will eventually end up as a booster seat. It's not the fastest seat to change between vehicles though.

sparkman70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one i have is a eveflo that reclines and fits nice in the back set.How much did it cost i can't remember sorry about that.

frikki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys
I wish I lived near one of those places that has lots and lots of stores. The only store around here that even sells car seats is Walmart, and I really don't think they'll let people try them in their car before they buy them. I think it's more like buy, then try, then bring it back if it doesn't work... that's what I've done anyway. I got the Safety 1st All-In-One Convertible Car Seat. It was the best one they had in their small selection. Now I'd rather shop for one online, which is why I was hoping someone could just tell me what they have so I could get the same. I've been searching online for something but there are so many different ones out there. I know some work fine in some vehicles, but not others, so consumer reviews don't really help all that much.
And I've been told that our fire chief can help with the installation, but I'll probably just stick with reading the instruction booklet.
And what are these wedge things? I've never heard of them... are they safe to use?

Oh, and I will definitely be adding the Eddie Bauer to my list Jim. I will guess though that it doesn't fit into the middle part of the seat... but that's really not that big of an issue.

Last edited:

New Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we had ours inspected, they used a pool noodle, cut in to 3 pieces, and taped (like a pyramid), as a wedge. Works brilliantly,

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Remember those days, remember to put towels and rubber linings on the seats... :D

frikki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay... after reading a little more, I've found that it is quite common to use pool noodles as wedges to go under the car seat. I may make a visit to the fire chief after all and see if we can work something like that out.

And I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that the Eddie Bauer may be almost the same seat as the Safety1st seat that I've tried. Seems that they are made by the same company, but they have different coverings and such. Not completely sure they are the same though, but I've seen websites that hint around that.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will guess though that it doesn't fit into the middle part of the seat... but that's really not that big of an issue.

I never really tried it in the center forward facing, but as luck has it I have to switch it out of the wifes car tomorrow and put it back in the jeep. I'll snap some photos of it in the center. I generally have him sit behind me, and the wife sits on the passenger side in the back, so she has more leg room.

I tried it rear facing before but i had the same problem as putting it rear facing behind the drivers seat. I drive with my seat is all the way back and it doesnt fit in that config for me.

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap, I just bumped another thread before seeing this one... I even had this tab open when I did it, but I read the other one first :(

Anyway, my daughter has out grown her carseat, but is still only 4 years old, I was hoping to get a high back booster for her, but the two I tried just do not fit well at all because of the seat angle.

Does anyone have a high back booster that fits well the would recommend? I've tried Britax and my neighbors Evenflo to no avail.

jerkylips

Reaction score
I just bought one for my son, almost exactly the same age as yours. Got the Britax Marathon. You can find them around $230 on amazon. Toys R Us may match prices, too. I did have to put it behind the passenger seat for the reason mentioned above (had to move the front seat forward a bit when the car seat is rear-facing).

It can be installed in the center, but it's a PITA to get the kid in & out because you have to reach in so far.

In terms of safety, Britax is the best. They're a bit more expensive, but have the highest safety ratings, and have some nice convenience features (like not having to pull straps through the back re-route as he gets bigger). I'd recommend the one we got..

Davidroger

Reaction score
They're all huge and due to the incline of the seats, not many really easily fit.
I've had a recaro, britax advocate clicktight. Both large but fit. Those Dino (sp?) are pretty small. It works because hardly anyone drives with me in the car and when it's my wife, she's 5ft. So she can still sit comfortably in the front seat.