Cheonan, Korea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share the first image of my KJ with everyone...
My KJ's first trip out to the countryside. I could use more accessories, huh?

You must be registered for see images

dnm45227

Reaction score
Is that purple haze the pollution you mentioned in an earlier post? I don't know about the addition of extras, I kinda like the stock look.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
Is that purple haze the pollution you mentioned in an earlier post? I don't know about the addition of extras, I kinda like the stock look.

Actually, it's due to picture enhancement; it was a bit foggy (the lightbar kicked ass that morning, though). O:)

I was looking into a roof basket and bull bar, but having no luck (no one is willing to ship it USPS). I guess I'll have to wait until I can go home...some day.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I was kicking around the idea of those same options. Our '02 Ltd doesn't have a light bar and just yesterday I was telling my wife that if I put on a basket I could mount some lights. I like the look of a bull bar as well, just not sure if I want to spend the money on either.

I think if I was put money into either of them it woul be into some tires. The '05 rennie still has the stock tires and the '02 has wally world "Liberators" on it. They were $340.00 for four w/road haz, lifetime balancing and an oil change.

As far as shipping thins go, if you want to buy something stateside couldn't a family member ship it to you? You could have the company ship to a person stateside, they could slap a usps lable on it and you could get it that way.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day (the day I took this pic, in fact) I had to remove my sub so I could fit in luggage and strollers for my kids and kept thinking, "if only I had a roof basket".
The bull bar is for looks and ramming sedans who cut me off in traffic. (biggrin) j/k
Tires...well, I hardly drive this thing; had it almost two months and only about 860 miles on it. I think I'll put that idea on hold until I get back to the states.
As for family sending me stuff...I think I used a bit too much of those favors already on a lot of things; it'll come back at me with interest! Plus, if I'm willing to spend almost double on postage fees, I may as well acquire them locally.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice photo! Love the plate on the front. How long are you going to be stationed in Korea?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Nice photo! Love the plate on the front. How long are you going to be stationed in Korea?

Thanks, grogie.
The photo is actually...artificial. It was really foggy up there in the mountains that morning (more like creepy--was at a cemetary, in fact). After enhancing it, the red sun rays sort of made that effect.
The plates are newly designed and came out in the beginning of this year. I had to trim them to fit the KJ. The locals really hate the design, though.
My DEROS is May 2007...but I'll probably get extended...again. Been here since 1999.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should you leave in '07, how will you move your KJ? Or will you just sell it locally?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Should you leave in '07, how will you move your KJ? Or will you just sell it locally?

I plan on keeping my KJ as long as I can. I'm shipping it back with me.

It's really hard to sell locally. The locals still have to pay customs/taxes on foreign vehicles and a fee to a Gov't agency to do the paper work, which is a mandatory requirement. I don't know what all this is in detail, but the price almost doubles in everything.

A few months ago, an exported, used 97 Ford Taurus sold for about $6,000 locally. I put mine up for U.S. Blue Book price (to advertise to other Military or DOD personnel), which was about $3,600 at the time. The locals were coming at me in all directions, ...but when it got down to it, they would have ended up paying $2,300 extra in taxes/fees alone, which puts it all back to the retail price of an export. It got so bad I actually had a guy help me post a sign in Korean with an explanation.

So one can hand a brand new KJ for free to a local, but I estimate he or she will pay $23,000 in taxes.