Check your tire pressures!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its that time of the year again when its starts getting cold and pressures start dropping. Its easy for a tire that has 35psi in it at 70degrees to drop to 32 or even 30 on a cold night. I put right at 36psi when it was around 70 degrees outside and this morning they were at 33psi, the temp was around 40 degrees. Check your spare also so your wont wonder why the pressure light is coming on if you have that option. O:)

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's a good coold weather pressure? I usually drop mine to about 33 in the winter.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to keep it at 36-38 at all times. If it suddenly drops to 32 (as it does) I leave it be, as long as all of them are about equal.

I trust my EVIC PSI sensor. Jeepjeepster, although you have it too , it is nice of you to remind others to check. (I think G package had it, right?)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have evic, you can get the sensors mounted on your tires, I don't think they are expensive. Set of four or five might run for about a hundred bucks, if you can find them on ebay maybe half of that.

waldn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
If you have evic, you can get the sensors mounted on your tires, I don't think they are expensive. Set of four or five might run for about a hundred bucks, if you can find them on ebay maybe half of that.

only if your EVIC has the TPMS option

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
waldn said:
hyedipin said:

only if your EVIC has the TPMS option

Right.

I believe it was an option even on the G package hyedipin, its on my window sticker at least.

Ive found them on ebay for around $50, was wanting them for my cragers.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
What do you all think about 40 psi for stock size BFGs?

Whats the max psi on them? I wouldnt get within 6psi of the max psi on any tire when cold. After setting mine to 35, Ive checked them after driving and they go up to 39psi.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
desertkj said:
What do you all think about 40 psi for stock size BFGs?

Whats the max psi on them? I wouldnt get within 6psi of the max psi on any tire when cold. After setting mine to 35, Ive checked them after driving and they go up to 39psi.

I'm thinking its 50 or 55 but I'll check in the morning while I'm washing it and putting a coat of wax on.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Its 50. I think I'm gonna run it at 38.5. Was getting 22 mpg on the freeway with that.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Haha, its a good thing you got that .5 in there! It may be alittle tight in turn two without it. \:D/

Lol. It was one of those things. Checking two of them filling them to 39 and they just happened to be at 38.5, so.... It does drive better with them at 38.5 then the 33 I had them at previously.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a digital guage from radio shack, I love that little guy. It stays in my glove box at all times. Since Im OCD, my tires must be the same psi on the evic or I freak. Im always stopping and getting out to let some air out so all 4 are the same. \:D/

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been my experiance that tires have the max cold psi listed on them, not max warm PSI listed on them, as that is the case there should be no fear in inflating a tire with a max psi of 44 psi to 44psi, manufacturers take into account that most likely a tire is filled cold and pressure will increase when driven.
Call any tire manufacturer and tell them you will be hauling a heavy load, and ask them what to inflate the tire to and it will be the max psi they give you(yes after hearing several psi threads on this board I called goodyear about this.)
Tires Wear better, get better gas mileage (see basic laws of friction for proof) with higher pressures, I just finished a road trip at 42PSI and averaged 24.6 MPG (3.7 Gas)
It kills me when people with low knowledge level say oh I wouldn't do this or oh I would not do that when they only offer an opinion not fact.
I do know that the #1 cause of failures involving a tire is under (not over) inflation
So if your max PSI is 45 and you run them at 32, your missing a 4th of potential pressure and just throwing your gas money away. But hey it's a free country. :-({|=

VTjeepguy

Reaction score
my father used to design tires for armstrong tire, now perelli. he says no more than 35 psi is perfect for a vehicle like the liberty. he knows his stuff...

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's correct, also, under most conditions 35 psi would be fine, but instead of asking or guessing, the safe mediam pressure is listed on you door which is 33 PSI, however there are variables where that may go up or down, for example while towing or on long trips I always turn the PSI up, or wet/sand conditions it should go down, for day to day it's in between.
I just wanted to clear up that the Tire manufacture lists Max COLD PSI's on the sidewalls not hot psi and and the tire isn't going to explode if you go to it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check my tire pressure?

Ok ....just looked out the window. Yup I got tire pressure............