CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ouch. unless they flushed the system thats not good.

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2...ays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=coolant&start=0

you would think a dealer would know what to use. Guess Im giving them to much credit. :rolleyes:
As long as you COMPLETLY remove the GO5 you'll be okay,it's when you mix the coolants that is very bad.But with the "green" coolant you must flush the system at least once a year otherwise electrolis will take effect(alloy heads and cast iron block) turning the coolant into acid and causing all sorts of havoc.A common problem with cars using the "green" coolant with alloy heads and cast iron block.

Oh and the thermostat for the KJ is a special breed,the cheapest I have found id from Napa,about $25 for the t-stat and special plastic gasket.Yep that's right there is no gasket for the KJ t-stat but a non-reuseable plastic gasket.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as an fyi, you can get a basic OBDII code reader on ebay for around $50.00, maybe even less. Invaluable tool, and works for any US vehicle from 96 onwards.

-Blu

Mine doesn't work on my Liberty for some reason, but like you said, it was invaluable when I owned GM products.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't work on my Liberty for some reason, but like you said, it was invaluable when I owned GM products.

your OBD should work, anything after 96 in US is OBD compliant. Is your reader bad, which kind do you have?

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one made by "Launch". It's a basic plug in model with a four digit LED display. Worked like a charm in my old Yukon, but when I plug it into the KJ it doesn't clear the code.

It's supposed to flash the code four times, then after the fourth cycle it clears the CEL. On the KJ, it flahses the code four times but the light never goes out. Otherwise it works.

2003KJ

Reaction score

Yours may be GM specific. I have heard of several DIY type people who own GM's (alot of them former GM techs) who have certain scanners that only work on GM vehicles.

mckim

Reaction score
If the heat if working fine then it appears like its just a sensor fluke or a problem with the guage. Strange it happened on two 06's though.

make it three. have an 06 renegade and noticed the check engine light last night. thought nothing of it at first, since it went off about 15min later and figured it was a fluke. then again today had it pop on and stay on for 40+ miles and my temp guage was not in the norm. heat was working better than fine though. after i got to where i was going, let it sit for a bit and sure enough, all guages are where they need to be and stayed that way for the ride back home + stops here and there along the way

Latest posts

Members online