check engine help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spechuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so yesterday, I came back to my jeep and the battery was dead. Figured I'd just jump it, no biggie. Started right up but the check engine light is on now.

Tried to use the on/off/on/off/on trick as well as hold trip, turn on and all it did was count to 9 or so and show my mileage. Is there a different procedure for an 07? or any thoughts/suggestions? thanks!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know it works in 02-05 MY. Not sure about 06+

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You're gonna have to take it to Autozone. '06 and '07, it doesn't work, but the feature was restored with the '08 KK.

I'm wondering if the code is erroneous due to the dead battery.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're gonna have to take it to Autozone. '06 and '07, it doesn't work, but the feature was restored with the '08 KK.

I'm wondering if the code is erroneous due to the dead battery.

Marlon is probably right about the dead battery causing it. While you are at Autozone have the battery/charging system tested. Something caused the battery to die. Or the battery is not holding a charge well.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If it's the original battery, replace it already. On a lot of vehicles a near dead battery will cause faults...codes...etc...

spechuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would anyone happen to know if the battery test at autozone is free?

Marlon - my roommate's 07 commander throws the engine code when he disconnects his battery and said it could potentially be the same deal here but in his case, it goes away after about 10 minutes. I drove about 45 min so far with this light.. hmmm

as for an almost near dead battery, would there be any signs or other indicators to indeed say its near dead? when I jumped it, it started right up, no hesitation. drove home, parked overnight, started up no problems this morning.. would a near dead battery struggle or am I overthinking this..? and yes it is the orig battery

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
would anyone happen to know if the battery test at autozone is free?

Marlon - my roommate's 07 commander throws the engine code when he disconnects his battery and said it could potentially be the same deal here but in his case, it goes away after about 10 minutes. I drove about 45 min so far with this light.. hmmm

as for an almost near dead battery, would there be any signs or other indicators to indeed say its near dead? when I jumped it, it started right up, no hesitation. drove home, parked overnight, started up no problems this morning.. would a near dead battery struggle or am I overthinking this..? and yes it is the orig battery

It would, but since you already needed a jump, it's time. Plus it's about 4 years old depending on when your KJ was made. So it's time.

Might not hurt to have them check out the alternator as well.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
We replace batteries after 3 years here just to be safe.

Which means it's dang near time for a new battery in my WK cuz it was built in '07.

spechuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll probably look into batteries and all but isn't there a battery indicator? I'm not 100% sure on the kj but I know a lot do... just confused as to why it'd throw engine code versus battery

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'll probably look into batteries and all but isn't there a battery indicator? I'm not 100% sure on the kj but I know a lot do... just confused as to why it'd throw engine code versus battery

That battery light is only set if the alternator puts out low voltage. It's not a "Hey, your battery needs to be replaced" light.