Changing the oil DIY is a PITA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I thought changing the oil on our old 2005 Liberty 4x4 was awkward and messy (that stupid angled oil filter).

Changing the oil on the 2008 Liberty 4x4 is harder. More difficult to snake your arms in there to spin off the old filter. I was able to spin off the filter from above on the 2005. Not possible on the 2008.

From underneath it is tighter spacings too. Maybe with a car lift (or pit) and standing up it can be easier than lying on your back. At least there is a "guide chute" under the oil filter that directs the dripping oil out and away from suspension stuff (2005 just leaked all over). I put a second oil pan under that chute.... makes it less messy when you finally get some leverage and spin off the old filter. Wiped out the chute afterwards.

I do not think I will change the oil myself again. Takes too long with all the limited access.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry it's not any easier to change the oil on a KK if it's on the lift or over a pit(I've done a few).There should be a "oil chute" also on your '05,every KJ I've seen has one that has the 3.7.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was no chute on the 2005 3.7 4x4 that I had.

Latest posts

Members online