changing spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldtomjeep

Reaction score
OK, this is the dumbest question I have ever asked.................

I have worked on cars and engines since I was a kid, but I cannot find the plugs on my 3.7 V6. I would usually expect to find plug wires leading to plugs; nope; no wires. I'm not surprised at not finding a distributor, that's fairly normal now. All I see is a ********* cover that looks like a valve cover. Are they under there?

The whole things makes me feel like an idiot. (OK, not the first time).

Tom:emotions34:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a 12" length of 3/8" fuel hose. When the plug is backed out, push the hose over the porcelain part of the plug and finish loosening/lift it out. Reinstall and hand tighten the plugs the same way. Spark plug sockets have a rubber boot up towards the top to hold the plug, but over years of use, they lose their grip.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My favorite is this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxsEOCqhHx8
Don't forget the other spark plug locations! :icon_lol:
Even though in the above video he uses platinum, the Jeep prefers regular copper cores like the NGK's listed on the under hood sticker or Champions work well too. :gr_grin:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not forget to vacuum or use a air gun to get all the dirt out of the area around the plugs, as you do not want dirt in your engine.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A dab of anti-seize on the new plug threads will aid mightily in removal the next time around...plug #6 is a LOT easier to service if you remove the 10mm nuts on the coolant reservoir and swing it out of the way....

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the NGKs threads are plated to prevent seizing between dissimilar metals.
don't think anti seize is needed anymore.

Last edited: