Changing rear differential fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BorincanoKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

It been a few month that i don't login. I been busy in recents days.

I been changing the rear differential fluid of my KJ and i want to know whether it is right or not use brake cleaning inside the differential.

Thanks in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

BorincanoKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was working changing the fluid of the rear differential, i couldn't wait any longer for answer if whether it is right or not use break cleaning. I just apply the rtv and put it back the differential cover. I wait until the next day for the rtv to dry before add gear oil.

Thank anyway Bob. Reading LibertyTC reply my doubt I had was answered. I didn't need to use the break cleaning.

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I sprayed it and let it dry while I was getting old rtv off and wiped everything as well, especially near the magnet to get the gunk out.
Also does anyone know if those scratches are normal wear and tear?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost looks like the pinion gear hit the differential case at one point in its life. Weird...

Bob

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost looks like the pinion gear hit the differential case at one point in its life. Weird...

Bob

that's what i thought when i saw it, with it scraped like that, wonder what happened :emotions34:

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was working changing the fluid of the rear differential, i couldn't wait any longer for answer if whether it is right or not use break cleaning. I just apply the rtv and put it back the differential cover. I wait until the next day for the rtv to dry before add gear oil.

Thank anyway Bob. Reading LibertyTC reply my doubt I had was answered. I didn't need to use the break cleaning.
When i popped my rear open im pretty sure it had never been serviced, the gear lube still looked good, but the brake cleaner took tons of gunk off the gears

jp7794

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an International Harvester Scout years ago where you had to clean and change the differential every few thousand miles or it would start bucking real bad. Started cleaning it with gasoline and still do the same thing on my Jeep. A lot cheaper than break fluid! Obviously more flammable as well so be careful.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself I wouldn't risk brake cleaner inside the diff.
Couldn't it get into the carrier's bearings?

What I've learned over the years is that if diff fluid can leak out of the axle then water can leak into it contaminating the fluid. Also if enough fluid leaks out the pinion bearing can burn up.

I routinely inspect my diff fluids and if its contaminated I'll change it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BorincanoKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear diff before and after.

Here i am sending some pic. before and after. Getting ready to take off the rear differential cover and the final result. I paint the differential cover dark charcoal gray and the bolts gold yellow. Filling with new fluid the differential. I hope you like my handsfree method, it"s not that bad right.