Changing Oil In Liberty With Skid Plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having never serviced a Liberty (with the 3.7 V6) with skid plates, I was wondering how much of a mess it is. Do plate/plates have to be removed in order to get to the drain plug and/or filter? :-k

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to remove it, but it's a PITA and messy either way.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard its a good idea to loosen the oil filter then have a good sized zip lock bag to put the filter in before you take it off. Loosen the filter the rest of the way while its IN the bag then take it off. This will keep oil from going all over the place. O:)

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard its a good idea to loosen the oil filter then have a good sized zip lock bag to put the filter in before you take it off. Loosen the filter the rest of the way while its IN the bag then take it off. This will keep oil from going all over the place.

You know, that's a really good idea, I've changed my oil several times over the years and have always had oil running down my arm and all over everything else. Too bad I'm too lazy now to try it out for myself! :-$

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the dealer charge extra for oil change if you got plates??

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will call for a quote on complete skid purchase+installation and will ask them if they charge extra. Thanks.

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I JUST did my oil last week and your drain plug is far away from the front skid plate. It is the oil filter that is of interest. When I take mine off there is a hole in the front skid plate that the oil from the filter actually drips down through. Its kinda big (like 5 or 6 inch hole). It seems there is a trail that is built into the engine bay of our jeeps that lets the oil just follow a path to the hole in the plate...its kinda cool!!! And I have done my oil a few times and it wasnt a fluke the oil from the filter goes through that hole EVERYTIME

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, mine for the most part goes down that little catch thing, but it still gets on the skid and steering rack.. Ive never tried the plastic bag thing but I for sure will next time. I hadent read about last time I did the oil change. The rate it going now, it will be a few months before I change it again so ill have to wait awhile.. 8-[