CDs skipping: Are others having this issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TopDog

Reaction score
I took the Liberty back for the skidplate and front tow hook install and to have them check out the CD player. I have noticed skipping on several of my CDs. The wrench came back and said that my CDs were dirtyand/or scratched and the player is sensitive. Funny, all of these worked perfectly in the Infiniti that I traded in on the Liberty. Other than cleaning the CDs and trying again any ideas? This has the navigation unit with Infinity sound system, so I am loathe to just up and replace with aftermarket. Thanks!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TopDog said:
I took the Liberty back for the skidplate and front tow hook install and to have them check out the CD player. I have noticed skipping on several of my CDs. The wrench came back and said that my CDs were dirtyand/or scratched and the player is sensitive. Funny, all of these worked perfectly in the Infiniti that I traded in on the Liberty. Other than cleaning the CDs and trying again any ideas? This has the navigation unit with Infinity sound system, so I am loathe to just up and replace with aftermarket. Thanks!

I suppose it could be dirty/scratched CDs, and if it only happens with a few of them then I would say that the "wrench" is correct. However, if it happens with all the CDs you have, then try a new CD in it and if the problem remains take it back and demand that they do something about it. (Assuming you are under warranty)

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
there have been a few reported cases of bad HU's w/ the same problems as you're having.

but yeah..just to be sure......get a cd that plays skippy in there..and play it on like a portable cd player or something....

those things are NOT that sensetive..i've put in cd's in really bad shape and it still plays

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's up the the player, you never know what it will play, I got one CD-R (those things tend to skip most, depending on manufactureres quality) that has only a small itch on it, and it skips like hell and makes weird noises and LOCKS UP!.

I got another one, original CD (yes, people still have them) and scratched and dusted (even some grease) beyond recognition, and still plays it.

Some units are more sensitive then others, so one will play , other wont. Try a brand new CD and see if it skips, it does? skip on the wrench and get someone else.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of a Chrysler headunit.

Being around these headunits for years, I've noticed they're the most sensitive headunits I've ever seen. The slightest vibration/bump, if the conditions are right, will make these things skip. Do not use Sony CD-Rs. They're not well liked either.

I will say, they have gotten MUCH better. Use a headunit from about... oh.... 1996, skip skip skip!!!!!!!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i've been impressed w/ the KJ's HU (cd/fm/am)
no skips unless it's a really nasty bump. so far....it likes all the cd-r's i thrown at it. who knows how many brands i've used over the years..but as of the past year or so..HP, Verbatim and TDK have been in there the most..

my neon had the base radio (only am/fm) so it was shortly changed to a Sony HU not long after....

TopDog

Reaction score
Does the fact that the 6-disc CD changer is in the rear (because the nav unit is in the radio) have anything to do with it? I got to tell you that my FX w/Nav was a much better system. Then again, it co$t a lot more as well.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got in dash 6 cd player, so far not a skip that was due to vibration.. I believe it has some good memory in there (and nice compression as well) that hold 60 or more seconds in memory.. All my skips were due to bad CDs..

careful with stick on labels, they don't do any good to your indash changer.. they will get stuck..