CB Finally Installed (with pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished installing the CB radio and it went ok. Still have to figure out what i want to do with the antenna but thats for after my little lunch break.

If you are using the below instructions please read them completely first and then decide if this setup is what you want to have (it is not perfect!)

Start off by removing the panel by hood release. It snaps off really easily. You will see a hole in the firewall on the left hand side with other wires running through it. The easiest way i found to get the wire from the cab to the battery was to wrap the wire around a flat head screwdriver and poking through the plug, then removing the screwdriver.

You must be registered for see images attach

The wire will come out under the master brake cylinder. Pull it out enough to connect the positive end to the battery. (red)

On the inside connect the black wire to a ground source. (you can either only run the red wire through the firewall or run them both and then cut it once you are inside to connect it to ground like i did.

Run the wire behind the OBDII plug.

Open the center console storage compartment and temove the plastic insert. Cut out either the entire bottom like i did or just enough to run your wires through. Be careful when using a walmart special edition knife since the blade likes to break and cut your hand pretty deep like i did. You will then loose about 15 minutes trying to clean all the blood that gushed out! (Argh)

this pic after i already cleaned up all the blood!

Also you never know what you will find from the previous user. 37cent stamps!

Connect the wire you just ran from the battery/ground to the CB wires (red to red) (black to black)

Stuff the wires under console. Should be easy since the console will be loose from removing the screws when removing the plastic insert from storage compartment.

Run the antenna out before you secure down the console in the next step.

Make sure you replace the 2 bottom screws even if you removed the entire bottom of the plastic insert. Not doing so will cause your console to be loose.

My radio fits perfectly in and stays in place without any screws needed (amazing) but you might need to do some more cutting on the sides or mount it to the insert if its too loose. Depends on the radio you bought.

You will need to remove the microphone in order to close the handrest. This is the only setback i found so far.

No evedence of any modification!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty good install, I just have one suggestion. If you have enough slack in your power wire you might want to run it over the the fuse/relay box in front of the battery:

The advantage of connecting your power here is that you get it away from the battery terminal where it could corrode from the acid fumes coming out of the battery. There are two bolts with 10mm nuts here, and the large metal connector they hold down is connected to a power cable that runs directly to the positive terminal on the battery. Just my two cents worth...

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no I didnt have enough slack thats why I had to run the ground wire inside instead.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you use an inline fuse as close to the battery as possible.

NEVER run wires from the battery or any other power source without running it through a fuse.

Nice install though. Maybe you can cut some plastic out from the bottom of the console so the Mic can be hooked up at all times?

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats where i put my tiny CB also...no pics, sorry....but im able to close the lid with the mic attached....mine is straight up and down....i cut open the bottom of the compartment and slid the radio down thru the opening that i cut. the top of the radio is low enough to leave the mic attached, AND, i can still shove lots of other junk in there as well!

my antenna is attched using a firestick "body mount" sort of bracket, mounted behind the drivers side tail light assembly. very neat, maybe 3/4" of coax exposed outside the vehicle.

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already cut the bottom out but i dont want the radio to interfere with the Ebrake nor sit directly on the rear heater outlet.

also there is a fuse between the battery and the radio that came with it i guess i just didnt have it in the pictures.

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will try and get some pics....all i did was sneak the wire in from behind and under the tail light, thru the cargo area under the carpet sorta, around the back seat, under moulding and carpeting and up into the center console

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also... you could run the red (power) wire to a fuse in the cab area where the fuses are... that's what i did.
if i didn't have a bunch of crap (multitool, camera, pens, papers, etc...) i would have put my old trc-502 in there! looks great!

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the plastic "bucket" inside the center armrest console has a couple of small phillips head screws in the bottom that hold it in, as well as a couple more screws near the hinge.