CB Antenna Prob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txseaaggie

Reaction score
I recently got a Cobra 29 LTD used from and the guy gave me an antenna to go with it for free just to get it out of his house. It's a Wilson 2000 trucker whip. It it supposed to be a really nice antenna but I'm having trouble tuning it. I can't get the SWR lower than about 2.5, any help on how to tune the antenna? Do i cut it or something?

You must be registered for see images attach

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you also receive a coax cable? Old ones tend to break apart. If so, you might try replacing the coax first.

Speaking of old, is the Wilson pre or post Cobra? Cobra bought out Wilson and I've heard from a CB guru, they now suck. But yes, the Trucker can be trimmed.

Also, is the ant properly grounded?

Txseaaggie

Reaction score
Did you also receive a coax cable? Old ones tend to break apart. If so, you might try replacing the coax first.

Speaking of old, is the Wilson pre or post Cobra? Cobra bought out Wilson and I've heard from a CB guru, they now suck. But yes, the Trucker can be trimmed.

Also, is the ant properly grounded?

Ya I got all new coax to run it and grounded it right. I think I might know what it is but didn't think it was that much of a deal. I coiled a little bit of the coax in the back. Too dark out now but I'll wake up and see if unwinding it will lower it.

Txseaaggie

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I bought a shorter coax that runs pretty much perfectly with barely any slack at all and still had trouble. Had a friend that is big into HAM radios and such take a look at it and he said the type on antenna it is, it's mounted too low and that's what screwing it up. I have seen other people mount antennas (fiberglass) this low and have no trouble. Would changing the antenna make that much of a difference?

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I bought a shorter coax that runs pretty much perfectly with barely any slack at all and still had trouble. Had a friend that is big into HAM radios and such take a look at it and he said the type on antenna it is, it's mounted too low and that's what screwing it up. I have seen other people mount antennas (fiberglass) this low and have no trouble. Would changing the antenna make that much of a difference?

I wondered about that but couldn't say it wouldn't work because I've never known anyone to mount a Wilson Trucker low. Anyway, I bet your friend is right. Why don't you try mounting it higher such as the way I, (and other's) have.

You must be registered for see images

Otherwise, you might be better off changing antenna's?

Txseaaggie

Reaction score
I wondered about that but couldn't say it wouldn't work because I've never known anyone to mount a Wilson Trucker low. Anyway, I bet your friend is right. Why don't you try mounting it higher such as the way I, (and other's) have.

Ya I think I may try another antenna. Thanks Oddball. I'll tell ya how it goes after I head up to Fry's tomorrow

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I think I may try another antenna. Thanks Oddball. I'll tell ya how it goes after I head up to Fry's tomorrow
No, not Fry's, nooooooooooo! j/k, I'm a regular at the Tempe store.

Yes having a large portion of the antenna located near the body metal can throw the SWR off, if you can get it mounted a bit higher as suggested you might have better luck. In particular see if you can get it high enough to get the resonator coil (large black cylinder on the lower part of the antenna) a bit further away from the body.

Txseaaggie

Reaction score
No, not Fry's, nooooooooooo! j/k, I'm a regular at the Tempe store.

Yes having a large portion of the antenna located near the body metal can throw the SWR off, if you can get it mounted a bit higher as suggested you might have better luck. In particular see if you can get it high enough to get the resonator coil (large black cylinder on the lower part of the antenna) a bit further away from the body.

Ya I'm not fond of Fry's (long story but I got screwed in the end) but they are pretty much the only electronic store near me that carries a wide selection or radio equipment....

Last edited:

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score

oddball, where did you get this mount?

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya want ya load coil above the horizion (roof line) - reason the fiberglass antennas don't have that issue is because they're top loads

something along that line anyway..

steel whips typically always have issues when a majority of the whip is obstructed from radiating, even a 102" at that location would misbehave a tad but still perform pretty dang well since it still had plenty of length above the roof

get it higher (to the roof) or swap it for a fiberglass and be wary of shorter coax lengths, they'll lie to you as well

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online