CB and Scanner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So once my libby arrives I’ll be spending a day installing all the stuff I have in the TJ and two of those things are a scanner and a CB. I’m not up for putting holes in the body where it’s visible, for purposes of resale. So I’m guessing that the spare mount is what I’ll be going with or fabricating my own doorjamb mounts to put on the bottom of the tailgate.

I have a 4ft Firestik scanner antenna and a 4ft Firestick top loaded CB antenna on the TJ. They work well but I’m sure if I had them better grounded and tuned they’d perform way better. Last night on the way home from work I picked up some scanner traffic from some firefighters’ mobile radios at a fire in a town about 30 miles (way the bird flies) away but it wouldn’t surprise me if I was picking it up from a repeater in the county. But still I’d guess I was about 10-15miles away from any repeaters.

The antennas are mounted on the back of the TJ and are separated the wide of the TJ apart. Will having the antennas interfere with each other if they are both on the spare mount about a few feet apart? And to anyone who has done the spare mount how tall an antenna did you use and how much does it stick over the roof?

Here what I see my two options are:

a.
You must be registered for see images

b.
You must be registered for see images

(more people need to take straight on back shots of their KJ's, took me a while to find the above image)