Cat back exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my factory muffler started rusting through I took a chance and cheaped out with a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler followed by a 12" Glasspack. I was not disappointed. Sounds like what I would consider a factory performance exhaust, no drone during normal driving (flooring it produces some drone in the mid-rpm range), nice soft idle that you can actually hear, but not annoying in the least.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom, how did this end up for you. What is your thoughts on the noise?
Hate it, sounds ok idling, but on the road going up hills etc too loud and annoying for me, loud enough not to be able to talk inside of the cabin with ease.
Old exhaust is going back on soon as I have time

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate it, sounds ok idling, but on the road going up hills etc too loud and annoying for me, loud enough not to be able to talk inside of the cabin with ease.
Old exhaust is going back on soon as I have time
Extremely odd. Both mine are stupid quiet.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I mounted it upside down inside out or something LOL
Actually funny thing is, my buddy installed his recently too, and guess what. He called me up and said he had an exhaust leak cause it’s loud.
I checked for leaks and there is nothing. Maybe the resonator isn’t packed right or yea maybe it’s backwards ?? Has me confused too

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually funny thing is, my buddy installed his recently too, and guess what. He called me up and said he had an exhaust leak cause it’s loud.
I checked for leaks and there is nothing. Maybe the resonator isn’t packed right or yea maybe it’s backwards ?? Has me confused too
Thing is, mine at least muffler is already mounted to the pipe that bolts on, so no way to install backwards.
I like the pipes, way they are made and run, everything looks good as far as looks
I even have ben driving the 05 for the past couple of weeks, but switched everything back to the 03 again so will give it a second chance

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Hate to resurrect a corpse, but was any consensus reached? I’ve got a tired system ready for replacement

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Magnaflow
I had Flowlouder on the 04 , installed when it had about 200 miles on it
Lasted until it had maybe 10-11,000 and could not stand it any longer
( well could not stand it on long trips by 250 miles , still liked talking to the wife back then LOL
Installed Magnaflow, great sound, loud but not over loud just a good nice rumble on start up , down the road
Still on there
on the 03 after the stock one went a few months ago , installed Walker 18944 SoundFX Muffler
little rumble , not loud but sounds good , running it with a good 2.5 inch inside diameter tailpipe from Speed daddy. MBRP clone )
well and actually the same one on the 05 now as well
older I get, the quieter I like it, many times I have to sneak away, can't run like I used to 40 years ago LOL

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever found a good stainless tail pipe that is hidden like the factory tail pipe is? Im not much on the exhaust hanging below the rear bumper.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I never have
don't know how the speed daddy would hang with a stock rear bumper since I don't have any of those left
or even if you could buy one but has great mandrel bent pipe

Dave_too

Reaction score
Well after 16 years the muffler is starting to rust through on the 03, not loud and annoying,.....yet, but

Nothing loud, no cheap Flow masters or any of that junk just a good quiet/ semi-quiet cat back system

Anyone found some great deals here lately ?

Thanks
This wasn't recently, but I was able to pick up a Magnaflow catback a year ago for half of list-price on Amazon using camelcamelcamel. It did take 6 months of watching and waiting though!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Magnaflow
I had Flowlouder on the 04 , installed when it had about 200 miles on it
Lasted until it had maybe 10-11,000 and could not stand it any longer
( well could not stand it on long trips by 250 miles , still liked talking to the wife back then LOL
Installed Magnaflow, great sound, loud but not over loud just a good nice rumble on start up , down the road
Still on there
on the 03 after the stock one went a few months ago , installed Walker 18944 SoundFX Muffler
little rumble , not loud but sounds good , running it with a good 2.5 inch inside diameter tailpipe from Speed daddy. MBRP clone )
well and actually the same one on the 05 now as well
older I get, the quieter I like it, many times I have to sneak away, can't run like I used to 40 years ago LOL
I've no interest in a loud Jeep is why I resurrected. If I need more hearing loss I just drive the bug. Lol.

As I was down the rabbit hole teaching myself I kept reading catback. Funny how deep web dives always bring me back here.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borla 14997 (if you can find one lol)
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Subtle but sounds good.

Trainmaster

Reaction score
If you use the Walker junk, drill a 1/8" hole at each end of the muffler to let the water out. No added noise at all but without them the muffler will rot out in less than two years.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you use the Walker junk, drill a 1/8" hole at each end of the muffler to let the water out. No added noise at all but without them the muffler will rot out in less than two years.
I have a buddy with a KJ he bought new in 03 so I know the complete history
His " WALKER JUNK " is going on 6 years now and still doing well, NO RUST

Latest posts

Members online