car starter vs. warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FirstJeep

Reaction score
Good day all,

I have been doing some research to find a car starter for the Liberty. The dealer I bought the Jeep from says I can only put in a Chrysler brand starter at a cost of 700$ with install ](*,) or it " May" void my warranty " should any issues come up". I sure did not like that price tag and it is just a plain jane start/stop. So I called around to some other dealers and they say I can put in any starter i want but it might void some warranty, but if you let us install a astrostart for 599$ then you are covered, but some other dealers might not cover it. That is what the guy told me. So in other words i buy a starter from dealer "A" and have it installed there. Then i go on a road trip to vancouver and something goes wrong with the electrical, even a shorted out headlight, so i go to dealer "b" in vancouver and they say it will not be covered because of the car starter, but if i drive back to dealer "a" it would be covered. (Aeh) I wrote to Jeep twice now and have not seen a reply to get to the bottom of this. I also called a few stereo shops that install starters and they ALL said it does nothing to the warranty.
Does anybody know for sure what the rules are? I saw someone else posted about the factory starter and it sounded like they were not impressed with it, especially for that kind of money. For 700$ i could get a two way with alarm on it.
Thanks for you hep all.
OlllllllO

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im assuming that you are talking about remote starters, correct?

Well the case with most aftermarket parts is that it can void the warranty. Its basically at the dealers discretion. As far as the reason the stereo shop told you that it wont void the warranty, basically they probably want your business and want to sell you their products. Unfortunatly like the dealer said, some dealers will cover it some wont. I believe that all mopar accessories should carry some sort of warranty that each dealer will recognize. However if you were to go with a different brand it would be at the discretion of that company if they wanted to warranty the parts.

Latest posts

Members online