Can't turn in 4 wheel mode..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1hat3b1lls

Reaction score
I have a 04 Jeep Liberty 3.7L. I notice something the other day... I had it in the part time 4 wheel mode, then i was trying to park the car... when I turn the wheel all the way to one side... the jeep wouldn't move.. and it sounds like the tires are rubbing..? so I switch it back to 2 wheel mode and tried it again.. it's was fine.. no problem! I also tried driving it in part time 4 wheel mode and notice that I can't make wide turns.. I can't turn my wheels too wide in 4 wheel mode.. it seems like the tires are rubbing something...

Has anyone else experience this??

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 part time is not meant to be used on pavement or any other hard surface!!!!!!!!! The part time mode is meant to be used in conditions where there is a slip so the powertrain doesn't bind up and it will end up breaking things(expensive ones at that).

Even in snow,sand or mud in 4 part time to make a tight turn you will have to "gas on it" to get the front end to pull itself around the corner, just trying to ease through it will just cause the front end to push and you will go straight.

Now 4 full time can be used at anytime ,but will still show some of "pushing" effect as part time just not as severe since it is intended to to used on any surface.

Don't understand what you mean by "wide turns"......... If you meant tight turns I explained that above, and that sound you are hearing is the front tire scuffing the road.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Eactly as explained above.This means you have the Commandtrac transfer case, not the Seletrac. If you don't see 4 Full Time on the selector, and see a gree Full Time light on the dash cluster Don't use 4wd on dry hard surfaces.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing those nice diagrams, I kinda wish I'd gotten selectrack instead of commandtrack. I had initially gotten the impression that commandtrack was better because it was the "real" 4wd.... but it looks like selectrack is the same thing as commandtrack, but with the extra fulltime 4wd option.

On a related note - is there a max speed for 4hi part time? I initially thought it was 55mph, but now that I look at the diagram, I see that it says to shift into 4hi under 55, not that you have to stay under 55 in 4hi. Reason I ask is that there have been times with rain or light snow where I'd like to be in 4wd, but on the highway going 55 is probably more dangerous than 65 if everyone else is doing a steady 65. (I hate being passed by 18wheelers in the snow/slush).

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my selc-trac, I have gone over 55, like 60 to 65 in heavy rain, with it on. Probably comand-trac is fine on interstate in heavy rain over 55. I did hear a TJ owner say that he used his command-trac on interstates with no problem. You'll always hear that big bang otherwise!

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
On a related note - is there a max speed for 4hi part time?

Depends on one's , well how should I put this........how big a set of balls you got will determine that (biggrin) .............or in somecases I've seem their lack of common sence 8-[

misterzero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1hat3b1lls said:
I had it in the part time 4 wheel mode, then i was trying to park the car

sad2.gif

Much to learn, you have.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still recall the days when a 4x4 had the big sticker warning, "DO NOT USE ON PAVEMENT!". That was with the days of having lock the hubs... Oh the fun that was!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i've gone 60 on 4-hi.....
it's just really slow getting up there, and...my gas gauge seems to drop to "e" a bit faster....LoL

only shift on 4-hi when it's heavy rains, or a lot of snow.....
w/ the new tires, she feels a lot better on wet pavement, so having said that..i havnt had the feel to shift into 4-hi as of late during rain storms..

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gone 75-80 in 4 full time. Have even shift at speeds of 75mph.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
I've gone 75-80 in 4 full time. Have even shift at speeds of 75mph.
Prepare to open your pocket book at the stealership, ha ha. Remember, transmissions are expensive to fix.

1hat3b1lls

Reaction score
Hey guys..

This is my first Jeep (first suv also) It would be great if you guys can tell me a little more about the 4-hi and 4-low.. I just don't wanna get stuck in the snow when it arrives.. I live in the NE region.. it gets pretty bad up here.

I shifted it to 4-hi cause it was rainning pretty hard that night, as I got home.. I tried to park the Jeep as usual, but then I notice that the car wouldn't move.. it feels like if it was in neutral or something. I had to give it more gas just to move a little. then I heard the tires rubbing noise.. So I shifted it back to regular 2WD mode and it was fine.. no noise.

So my questions are....

Should I be selecting the 4-low instead of 4-hi mode when it's slippery out? (rain, snow, ice)
How fast can I go while in 4-hi?
What do you guys use (as in modes) in the winter with snow on the ground?
Does my case above.. sound normal? or am I damaging something??

I'm a newbie at SUVs, I'm used to driving 4 cyl. Imports..

Sorry for all the questions, any help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
only time i go to 4-lo is either

a) im really stuck

b) ***** and giggles

and it's usually the latter.

it was fine for you to go into 4-hi while it was raining. i do that sometimes too, but only when im mostly going straight. Sometimes rain isnt slick enough, and thus when you make turns (like in your case) it binds it up.

now difference between a 4x4 and AWD is that AWD (like the selec-trac or as some call it 4 Full-time) each wheel can spin at different speeds as opposed to 4x4 systems, where it pretty much just makes all 4 wheels spin at the same speed...which is why you need some slip when in 4-hi...

living in the NE too, i usually shift into 4-hi, when there's quite a bit of snow/slush on the road (in other words if it hasnt been plowed yet) or if im trying to get out of my driveway, or parking in spots where there is snow in the way. as for the rain, hardly ever, only if i really feel uncomfortable about it. (w/ the new tires, i feel a bit more confident than w/ the stock good years)

as far as how fast....like what someone else mentioned before...i dont think it's a good idea going well past 50 or so if u need to be in 4-hi
(sure you may have a bit more grip than in 2wd, but it also doesnt mean that you can go speeding past everyone else. if the tires cant get traction, 4-hi or not, ur gonna go somwhere you dont want to...)
ice is ice...hi, lo....ur just gonna be slipping...all over :-s

as for what happened to you...it's normal...i've binded mine a few times..(playing around, and forgetting to shift back to 2-hi) just dont do it too often, and dont force it if it binds like that...ur bound to break someting...

oh yeah..if u find urself plowed in a spot...thats when 4-lo usually comes in handy....in some cases, u can just leave it in idle, and it will jsut pull iteslf out..literally...(now thats fun to do....especially w/ other SUV's and their owners digging themselves out...LoL)

dnm45227

Reaction score
1hat3b1lls said:
Should I be selecting the 4-low instead of 4-hi mode when it's slippery out? (rain, snow, ice)

I think Jeep says not to go more than 10mph in 4lo. Others will correct me if I'm wromg, please. As for 4hi, I didn't think there was a limit. Just proves that you can learn alot about your kj here the easy and cheap way.

Tightwadsjeeper

Reaction score
I thought you were just supposed to keep it under 25 or 30 while in 4WD LOW. I don't remember, but you'll know what speed not to exceed anyway just by watching your tachometer... LOL I don't think I've ever exceeded about 20 mph in 4LOW.

Luis

misterzero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1hat3b1lls said:

First off, read the manual!

4L is for severe situations only. NEVER switch into 4L and try to go even 35 mph. Wet pavement isn't severe enough to warrant the usage of 4L. Actually, I don't think there will be any on-road driving that would warrant 4L. Maybe severe ice, but if you're driving on really bad ice, you've got problems no matter what you're driving. Chains, not 4WD, make ice much easier. :)

4H is for use on slippery pavement, snow, mud, etc. Now, don't automatically put it in 4H if it starts to rain. A good thing to do is, if it is a heavy downpour, keep it in 2H until you really need the 4H. If you feel a slip, toss it down into 4H. You'll never need 4H in a light rain. The roads get pretty slick when it first begins to rain lightly, but definitely not enough to warrant 4H.

How fast can I go while in 4-hi?

Well, some said 75. I wouldn't go 75 with the Command Trac 4H, as if I'm in a situation where I need 4H, I probably need to slow down a little bit anyway.

What do you guys use (as in modes) in the winter with snow on the ground?

Well, haven't had the Libby through a winter yet. In the old Cherokee, we would put it in 4H when going through snow. Never know if there's gonna be a patch of ice under some snow.

Does my case above.. sound normal? or am I damaging something??

It's completely normal. You'll get the hang of it eventually. :)