can the parking brake go bang?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i guess factory parts would start to go after 256k miles but would the parking brake make a bang/thump followed by rattling coming from the rear?

it started off with a grind when i braked coming from rear passenger side that would come and go. then finally a bang/thump. thought it was a chunk of snow. then get on highway the it feels like right side was dragging. i pulled off, removed the wheel and checked the pads which were good but shoulda checked the parking brake at the time. wasnt till later on when i pull the lever and no grab.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure it can need to open it up and see could have a shoe brake loose and also can do more damage then just having to replace the shoes. I wouldn't drive around to long without checking it.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my shoes had separated and the friction material was just bouncing around inside the caliper causing all kinds of strange noise.