Can I go off road with my buddy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, lastnight I was talking to my buddy from back home, and after a few beers I started givin him the gears about his truck. Anyhow, long story short now I have to go off roading with him. So I have a few questions.

Right now I have no skid plates on the jeep (no gas tank one anyhow, have to look closer for the others but I doubt they are there), so I'm going to order the 4 skids from Jparts.com. I believe they are factory skids? Cheap anyhow. Do I just bolt these on or do I have to do drilling/cutting?

I'm also ordering front tow hooks. Do these just bolt on aswell or do I have to do any drilling/cutting?

I dont have a trailer hitch yet, and dont plan on buying one for some time yet. So, if I get stuck, is there anything for me to wrap a chain around to pull me out or should I get rear tow hooks? If there is such a thing:confused:

I'm also going to be getting new rubber all around, not sure what tires yet, still trying to figure out if I should get AT tires or mud tires. Anything else I NEED to get other than the tires/skids/front tow hooks?

Anyhow, you guys think this stock Lib with some BFG AT's is going to have much trouble following a full size truck (2003 Chev Silverado 2500HD) with mud tires through some old logging roads and such? Hopefully he gets stuck and I can pull him out, gotta bring the camera:p

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mopar skid plates bolt right on, although you will have to play some "nutzert" games - I think technically they are referred to as rivets, but you essentially torque the nut into place with a little install tool and *then* the skids bolt on. No drilling required with the Mopars. Interestingly enough, my transmission skid seems to be the *least* scratched up, but I certainly would not want to do without it.

Tow hooks also bolt right on, although things were a little cramped around the bumper in my '06 Limited. It took a casual hour.

There is a rear tow hook, but you may want to put a hitch on just to have the additional flexibility. The rear tow hook and a hitch cannot co-exist.

Side rails under the rocker panels are also useful, but that's another $300 (and a *lot* of drilling unless you get the Mopars). Then maybe some protection on the rear differential like a rock ring or replacement cover, and that's another $100 or more.

Go slow and don't let them rush you. I only get in trouble when I'm hurrying:eek: .

Russ
2006 Limited
Mopar skids
AllJ rock rails
unlifted, with stock Wrangler HP tires - so I really can't give you any advice on tires

Last edited:

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look into getting that stuff too.

Yea, I take it slow I'm just worried that I wont be able to go where they do. DUnno how this short wheel base is going to compare to full size trucks. I can picture myself getting stuck alot faster.:confused:

2003KJ

Reaction score
Stick with the AT's...the BFG's are an excellent choice.

Sounds like you have it about all covered (skids, hooks etc). I would definitely run with a rear hook for the time being, since you don't plan on buying a hitch any time soon (better to have at least the hook back there than nothing at all).

Take it slow and steady. Let your buddy rush ahead of you and break something....then you can casually come along behind him and pull him out :)

As far as a tow strap, I'd recommend one that does NOT have the metal hooks on the ends, rather one that has the same material as the strap that is used as a "hook". The metal hooks tend to become missiles if they slip off the hook....and you don't want to be anywhere near one of those if they slip off :eek:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your short wheelbase will probably do a lot better than his big honkin' truck, plus yours is narrower so you won't get all the pinstriping that he would. I agree with what everyone said about the hooks and skids, I've banged the heck out of my Mopar skids but they still give me the protection I need.

Be sure to take plenty of pictures of his open-mouthed stares when you do everything he can :D

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I'll be taking lots of pictures alright:D Just pricing out the skids from the dealer. They want way more money than jparts.com does...even with the $50 cupon I have for the dealer, heh.

I hope your right, his truck is huge.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer tells me there isnt an engine skid plate. jparts.com has one...but the dealer tells me he has the front suspension skid plate.

Do I need a front suspension skid plate? Or the engine skid plate more?
I thought I needed the transfer case, transmission,engine and fuel tank skids...any idea?

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front suspension and engine skid plates are the same thing. You want that one, it really protects that fragile front differential.

There are four, in order from front to back:

Engine/front suspension
Transmission
Transfer case
Gas tank.

They can all be put on in an afternoon.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks. Looks like I'll be buying them online, the dealer wants about $150 more. Thanks guys

Epic-yoda

Reaction score
You will be able to go everywhere they go and they will prob get stuck more than you!

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think so 'eh...I'm just wondering how its gonna run with AT tires compared to his mud tires. I'd like to buy mud tires, but I guess they dont work to well on wet/icy pavement.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'd like to buy mud tires, but I guess they dont work to well on wet/icy pavement.

Bingo. Remember, MT's, MT/R's, and A/T's are 3 completely different tires.

MT's will excel in the mud (hence the name mud terrain), but generally suck everywhere else (rain, snow, ice...etc etc).

MT/R's are great for maximum traction on rocks. They don't do so hot in the mud, ice, rain...etc etc.

A/T's are a good all around performer. They'll do good in the rain, ice, snow, every day driving, and still get you though most of what the typical weekend wheeler will do off road (mud and such). Don't expect them to be a serious rock crawler, or mud bogger....just something to get you to most places.

You say you're just going to be going down some old logging roads and such....a good A/T should do you just fine. :)

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, we'll be going down some old logging roads, out in some fields, etc. Nothing to serious. Just normal stuff you find in North Western Ontario out deer hunting...sounds good. AT's it is. Now back to my search for the perfect AT tire;)

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took mine down some very bushy trails in the NWT last weekend. It's stock except for the tires. Worked fine except I snagged a branch somewhere down there and now my speedometer does not work. If I had full skid plates this may have been prevented. I drove it home 12 hours that way. Happened to me before too. Cost me $500 to fix last time. (sensor and a seal replaced). But, I've driven mine on steep rocky terrain, across creeks and small rivers with no problems.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just worried about when I get into like 12" of mud. Theres a few places I go deer hunting where it can get pretty muddy, I just cant wait till I can try it out, heh:)

Do your general grabbers work well for you? Im considering buying them as they are half the price of the BFG's I"m looking at. But I hear the BFG's work better in the mud/sand.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MT/R's are great for maximum traction on rocks. They don't do so hot in the mud, ice, rain...etc etc.
I would have to disagree with you on that.I have run 3 sets of MT/R's on 2 Jeeps with over a 100,000 miles and they have never failed me once.Granted they are not really good on ice but no tire is(don't care what anybody say's,rubber and ice does not = traction in any way).Never hydroplaned going through water at high speed,cornered the same in the rain as in the sunshine.And the key with making MT/R's work really well in the mud is some wheel speed,get them tires a spinning to clean them out and they'll dig to china.All MT tires need some wheel spin to self clean,the MT/R's are no different.And yes they do awesome in the mud,much better then the BFG AT's and MT's.The only 2 better tires in the mud that I have run have been Interco's Boggers and the Trxus MT's.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to buy MT tires of some kind, but what I'm reading, that is keeping me from buying them is this.

1: They only work good in mud, on pavement/rain/snow they are worse than an AT tire.

2: They REALLY hurt gas mileage compared to a AT Tire

3: They wear lots faster than an AT tire

4: They are LOTS louder than an AT tire

5: They do not handle well on pavement, especially wet pavement.

Can anyone tell me if these things are true?

I would really like to buy some kind of MT tire but if they dont work well on pavement and snow I need an AT tire instead I think.

nfmisso

Reaction score
1. AT is better on pavement - but for most people the MT is more than adequate.
2. depends on which tire you choose - big factor is tire weight and inertia (function of diameter and weight).
3. depends - on the road run higher pressure will help life, air down for off road use.
4. so.....
5. see #1 above.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Tim on tire choices. Good A/T's will be fine for mild to moderate off-roading and also will be good on the road in the snow and the wet. Won't kill your gas mileage too much. Won't sound like a herd of giant bumble bees chasing you around. Won't wear as fast as bigger lugged tires. They are a good compromise unless you're building a trail rig.

Good A/T's will get you to a lot of places and back.

Skids for protection and hooks for recovery if needed.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hows a MT tire work in the snow compared to an AT tire? I do about 30% of my driving a year in at least 6" of snow.

Members online