buying Treadwright: but what model

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im set that im going with treadwright brand tires, but im having trouble deciding between the 'Warden A/T' or the 'Guard Dog M/T'. Im taking off a bald set of BFG A/Ts which are pretty much the same as the Wardens. Im not sure if it was how bald they were or what but my BFGs were terrible in rain and snow! I really dont want to repeat that experience for another season so its time for new tires.

My question is this. in the rain and snow which tire would be better the Guard Dogs or the Wardens.

thoughts?

and lastly has anyone tried their 'Kedge Grip'? its glass and walnut shell bits inpregnated into the rubber. as you drive it creates grip and siping.

again thoughts?

Last edited:

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Guard Dog model, the tread is quite a bit more compressed than a regular MT/R. The open spaces aren't as large. It is more like a really really aggressive all terrain; a hybrid MT / AT almost. I live where the sun shines 300+ days a year, and the other 65 are cloudy, so I can't really comment to much on the weather concerns. But FWIW I haven't had a problem in rain at all, and the few times they have seen snow (Colorado) they worked fine. If you wheel a lot I would get the Guard Dog's. If you only wheel once in a great while I would probably go with the Warden's but in load range C, and save you a MPG or two. LR E 245/75/16's are fawking heavy. From personal experience, and it seems like many others have had the same issue, TW tires run large. My 245/75/16 Guard Dog's were an inch bigger than my 245/75/16 Goodyear MT/R's. Had to do a little extra trimming. :D

edit: I didn't get mine with the kedge grip. Didn't seem worth the extra money. They hook up pretty damn well in the rocks with out it.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Tough one.
I'd imagine that the Wardens would be really good on wet pavement and on snow because they already have allot of siping. Add that Kedge grip and what they claim, it increases the siping and would do even better allegedly.

But the Guard Dog's with the Kedge grip on wet pavement and snow will also be good, but offer more traction off road.

For the price of those tires you could get a set of both for less than a set of 5 M/T R Kevlar rubber!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Guard Dog model, the tread is quite a bit more compressed than a regular MT/R. The open spaces aren't as large. It is more like a really really aggressive all terrain; a hybrid MT / AT almost. I live where the sun shines 300+ days a year, and the other 65 are cloudy, so I can't really comment to much on the weather concerns. But FWIW I haven't had a problem in rain at all, and the few times they have seen snow (Colorado) they worked fine. If you wheel a lot I would get the Guard Dog's. If you only wheel once in a great while I would probably go with the Warden's but in load range C, and save you a MPG or two. LR E 245/75/16's are fawking heavy. From personal experience, and it seems like many others have had the same issue, TW tires run large. My 245/75/16 Guard Dog's were an inch bigger than my 245/75/16 Goodyear MT/R's. Had to do a little extra trimming. :D

edit: I didn't get mine with the kedge grip. Didn't seem worth the extra money. They hook up pretty damn well in the rocks with out it.

just out of curiosity how loud are your Guard Dogs on the highway?

Last edited:

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity how low are your Guard Dogs on the highway?

Do you mean loud? I have a little over 30K miles on them now, and they are loud. No where near as loud as my chunked up, un-balance-able Goodyear MT/R's. But I would imagine they are to noisy for most of the general public. My girlfriend hates riding in the Jeep due to the noise. They were really quiet up until about 5-6,000 miles ago, all things considered. They have started to wear weird though and I know from past experience that is why they are noisy (the outside edges are starting to scallop, my fault as I have been lazy about rotating them as of late). As far as the highway goes, the noise gets softer the faster you go. At 70-80 mph I have been really happy as far as noise goes (well, up until recently :D ).

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im 99% sure im going with the guard dogs. im ordering with the next paycheck!!!! im so stoked my BFG ATs are so bald and terrible!

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im 99% sure im going with the guard dogs. im ordering with the next paycheck!!!! im so stoked my BFG ATs are so bald and terrible!

I'm sure you will be happy with them. If you do order them, call and place an order instead of using the web. Make sure to ask for matching casings, and if you are ordering 245/75/16's ask specifically for MT/R casings.

Also, there is another Treadwright thread with other people besides myself giving their 2 cents. :D Worth taking a look at.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45553&highlight=treadwright

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just placed my order for 245/75r16 guard dogs!!!!!! i cant wait for them to arrive!