Buying a used KJ....Would you buy an 02, 03 or 04 and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dynamo04

Reaction score
Trying to decide which to buy?...Didn't list 05 or 06 because my budget is only $15,000.

Thanks in Advance,
Dynamo04

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have experience with anything other then my '04. Someone here recently found an '02 I believe that was owned by an old couple and garage kept. That was a bargain! Plus with some '02's, their "pre-lowered" (others can tell you more about that). That's something to look for!

About an '04, I do recall seeing that the Limited's for example have some extra features that the '02's did not have. Nothing major... but like tented rear windows for one I believe.

Good luck with the search! You'll enjoy owning a KJ!

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if you can find an 04 / 03 with low mileage it would have the 7/70,000 warranty, the New ones only have 36000 of coverage

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 02's have a more HD ******, but weve not been having problems out of our trannys. The 02's were also 3/4in higher. All of the years seem to do good, no major problems out of any of them.

RIPGTP1997

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was me who recently got the 02' Limited, leather loaded etcetc owned by the old couple with the low milage. I love my 02'. Have no problems, ball joints are good too. Very solid built. Love it very much.

kspageddie

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 with 34,000 miles for 13,999.00. I have only had it a few weeks but I really like it. I am going to drive it cross country from Ohio to the Grand Canyon in a few weeks.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit biased as I think the '02-'04 front end looks better than the newer ones, but since you're only contemplating those years its not a problem. I really like my '03, especially now that I have made some additions to it (biggrin) .

kspageddie said:
I am going to drive it cross country from Ohio to the Grand Canyon in a few weeks.
When exactly are you coming out? If you're going to be out here around the end of October you might consider joining fellow KJ owners for the first Trick or Jeep run out at Concho AZ. If you're coming out at another time, you should at least try to get down to Sedona and try a red rock trail or two...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I like the '02-'04 better, but this '05 redesign does make the Liberty look a LOT TOUGHER. The lines just don't flow anymore. That's the problem.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont' think an 05 is out of reach. a dealer here is selling a new a 05 2 wheel drive for 16,800. i bet if you wait and be patient you can get a used o5 sport 4x4 for 15,000.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 02 renegade about 7 months ago for a little over $12k and it had 45k miles on it when i got it

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pick an 2002, because it is the best out of all the years for the following reasons: HD ****** and prelowered (build b4 4/2/01). I think disc brake are too over rated, drums are better.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
I would pick an 2002, because it is the best out of all the years for the following reasons: HD ****** and prelowered (build b4 4/2/01). I think disc brake are too over rated, drums are better.
I've driven an '02 KJ with the drum brakes, and I'd honestly rather have the discs any day of the week. The KJ just brakes a LOT better with the discs. MUCH more controlled and MUCH more powerful.

But I do see where you're coming from. Drums require less maintenance.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But it takes about 5 sec to change out the rear brakes. I dont even know how to change drum brakes. Not saying I cant, I just never have.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
I've driven an '02 KJ with the drum brakes, and I'd honestly rather have the discs any day of the week. The KJ just brakes a LOT better with the discs. MUCH more controlled and MUCH more powerful.

But I do see where you're coming from. Drums require less maintenance.

I have never driven a KJ with rear discs. Never had a problem with my rear drums, and I don't think they are that bad.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a 98 cherokee with drum brakes and while running it at "The Mounds" my back right drum brake froze up. I was still able to pull the jeep to flat land in 4x4, jacked it up, then used needle nose plyers to pry apart the drum from the brake.

I let it cool off, cleaned it up with some water (like that really helped) and then put everything back together. It was a pain in the ****!!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
But it takes about 5 sec to change out the rear brakes. I dont even know how to change drum brakes. Not saying I cant, I just never have.
I would rather change brake pads than brake shoes ANY day of the week! Getting the springs and stuff seated properly on drum brakes is such a pain, plus as stated earlier disc brakes stop the Jeep way better.