Busted bolt on thermo housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zero402

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have this happen? Mine just broke off inside the pin area. I was able to drill a hole in the center of it, but then the extractor broke off in the newly drilled hole.

Has anyone drilled straight thru to put on a new bolt and nut? Anyone have to drill it out and use a helicoil? How did these work out for you, if you did these options?

Thanks

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
If the extractor isn't still broken off in the hole you drilled try drilling some more with a left-handed drill bit. Sometimes they'll back out before you're done drilling.

Zero402

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the extractor isn't still broken off in the hole you drilled try drilling some more with a left-handed drill bit. Sometimes they'll back out before you're done drilling.

Thanks for the tip. Extractor was still in. What a pain in the ass. I got it though. Had to drill tiny holes round the broken bolt to where it was punched out, then cleaned up hole and used a nut and bolt to secure.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I gave up on EZ-outs and other extractors decades ago. Automotive, Industrial maintenance, military, they always resulted in more work in my experience.

EZ-outs aren't IMO. Glad you got it out! (It is never fun, when I do it, I often have to re-paint the vehicle after as the words from my mouth blister paint right off the steel....)

I am a huge fan of Kano Kroil and left-handed drill bits for broken bolt extraction. It isn't fun, but it is better than ending up with five sets of variously broken extractor tools laying around.