Burning Smell & White Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJLiberty13E

Reaction score
Okay, so I have a 2003 KJ with 129k on it. Last December I noticed for the first time I horrible smell coming through my vents (I don't smell it when the air is set for recycle). Over the summer I didn't smell it come in through the vents because during the summer I always keep the A/C on recirculate. Now, this winter I get that burning smell much more frequently whereas last winter it was every once in a while. Now it literally happens every single day. I'll be driving and won't smell anything, but if I come to a stop I'll smell it while I'm waiting for a light to change. It smells like burning rubber or metal, maybe plastic. It's a nasty smell, and it's hard to describe. Sometimes I'll get white smoke that'll look like it's pouring straight out from the grill on the passenger side near the passenger side head light. I get out of the car, pop the hood and I'll see light white smoke coming from the area on the passenger side (if you're facing the Jeep, to the left of the engine).. my coolant has been checked, no leaks there. I emptied out the washer fluid to see if maybe that was leaking onto a hot surface, and I still got the smell with the washer fluid gone. I'm trying to avoid going to the dealership b/c I've had 2 mechanics "look into it" and neither one have given me any answers. I think I'm going to have to go to Jeep.. but I want to know if anyone here had a similar issues to what I'm describing and if they've found any resolution. I'm extremely frustrated by this because I take very good care of this car since I bought it used in 2007 at 52k and would like to keep it for a while. :killit: So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.. I'm having one more mechanic look at it this weekend, my last resort will be the dealership and I currently have an appointment set for Wednesday but would love to cancel that appointment if I find a resolution. Thanks!

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a "car" you are in the wrong place.
Depends if you buy into the Jeep marketing ********, of course ;)

Sorry, but Jeeps *are* cars. I know some people like to refer to them as "trucks", but they're not, unless there's a flatbed/pickup version of the KJ I've never seen before :)

To the OP, I'm just guessing here, but it could be something inside your HVAC box, which is behind the dash on the passenger side. You've got your AC evaporator, heater core and a bunch of vacuum-operated air doors in there. I hope it isn't anything inside the HVAC box because I think you're looking at a very hefty labour charge just to pull the dash and get the box out.

Have any of the mechanics checked the blower motor? White smoke and a burning smell could be coming from that, and it can be replaced without needing to remove the dash.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Depends if you buy into the Jeep marketing ********, of course ;)

Sorry, but Jeeps *are* cars. I know some people like to refer to them as "trucks", but they're not, unless there's a flatbed/pickup version of the KJ I've never seen before :)

I'd have to agree with you you!
After all the word "car" is an abbreviation of the original
term "Motor Carriage"!

We just like taking the piss out of people here!:D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry but it's a Jeep,thre original UV(utility vehicle),not a car.

To the OP check out the valve cover gaskets on the back side of the engine.They can leak some oil on the exhaust manifolds and when you stop that smoke get's sucked into the fresh air intake located under the passenger side of the cowl(under the wipers).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup...UV
42312[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

If you do, it probably has not been OME lifted yet!

Attachments

• JeepIsNotACar.jpg
    JeepIsNotACar.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry but it's a Jeep,thre original UV(utility vehicle),not a car
Sorry dude, but Jeeps are cars. UV or SUV are just designations for *type* of car, just as a limousine is different from a sedan, but both are still cars.

The Jeep was originally developed in response to a US Army request for a "four-wheel-drive reconnaissance car". That whole thing about "Not a car, not a truck, it's a Jeep" is just a marketing slogan from the modern consumer era, trying to make the Jeep brand seem more special than it actually is. Some people fall for it, others don't ;)

In other news, there's no Santa Claus either :)

Last edited:

NJLiberty13E

Reaction score
I'm just seeing these responses now.. I actually found out over the weekend that the hose on the side of the PCV valve attached the engine was cracked and was releasing gas fumes like crazy! I replaced it myself ($13 part from the dealer -- pcv valve and the tubes on both sides came as one whole piece). But there is another smell which I didn't realize until now were two different issues. The white smoke comes from the passenger side under the hood, but I noticed it's more so closer to the passenger side headlight.. almost like it comes from right next to it in between the head light and the radiator. Unfortunately I only see the smoke after coming to a stop and it's like the white smoke comes "pouring out" (for lack of a better description) from the front. It's an unpleasant smell lol.. almost metallic or something. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow (*sigh*).. I guess I'll have an update tomorrow.

NJLiberty13E

Reaction score
Sorry but it's a Jeep,thre original UV(utility vehicle),not a car.

To the OP check out the valve cover gaskets on the back side of the engine.They can leak some oil on the exhaust manifolds and when you stop that smoke get's sucked into the fresh air intake located under the passenger side of the cowl(under the wipers).

So it ended up being I needed a new PCV valve AND a valve cover gasket needs replacing. Thank you for your replies!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry dude, but Jeeps are cars. UV or SUV are just designations for *type* of car, just as a limousine is different from a sedan, but both are still cars.

The Jeep was originally developed in response to a US Army request for a "four-wheel-drive reconnaissance car". That whole thing about "Not a car, not a truck, it's a Jeep" is just a marketing slogan from the modern consumer era, trying to make the Jeep brand seem more special than it actually is. Some people fall for it, others don't ;)

If you believe that a Jeep is a car then conduct a quick
little test in a random parking lot
Park a Wrangler and ask people when the walk by
"what is that" or "what do you call that" and point to the Jeep
Then ask the same question but point to any random 4 door
sedan
Other wise sell the Jeep to someone who will appreciate
it for what it is a Jeep

Now I will say this
Yes the mass majority of non-wrangler (and now 4 door wranglers)
are not much more than a car as they are 2wd
But if it has the name Jeep and is 4wd then it is more than any
other "car" on the road

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you look at the old WWII and all the way up to the M151's(still in service in the Marines) there ID plates are stamped 1/4 ton truck and even poeple around here with old Willy's are registered as 1/4 ton trucks.

mud74

Reaction score
So it ended up being I needed a new PCV valve AND a valve cover gasket needs replacing. Thank you for your replies![

I just had the same problem on my 03 Limited. Kinda wondering how much $$ I saved doing the work myself.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Call the dealer and see if they will give you an estimate for the work. I usually do that after big DIY jobs in the driveway. It makes you smile knowing how much was saved in the long run!

ce135

Reaction score
I had the same deal. It turned out to be a crack in the crankcase breather hose, where it splits at a t-junction on passenger side of engine, one hose goes to the air intake box, the other back to the engine. Oil mist, from what I read, makes it's way thru the hoses and it leaked on my passenger side exhaust. As it burned off, white-grey smoke came off and smelled up my cabin.

Dlux

Reaction score
I had the same deal. It turned out to be a crack in the crankcase breather hose, where it splits at a t-junction on passenger side of engine, one hose goes to the air intake box, the other back to the engine. Oil mist, from what I read, makes it's way thru the hoses and it leaked on my passenger side exhaust. As it burned off, white-grey smoke came off and smelled up my cabin.

Ah ha! I've had this issue for the past few months now (more of the smell with only the occasional smoke coming from the hood). Did you replace the hose yourself? If so, what was the cost on it??