Burning funky oil smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so My daughter is driving her Jeep and it burns a shitload of oil.....I had a compression test done and compression is good. Valve stem guide seals are good. It smokes at irregular intervals. I know if the valve guide seals were going bad then the engine would smoke most upon start-up, but it doesnt happen.........it's just RANDOM exhaust smoke THAT SMELLS TERRIBLE.....not like regular oil beeing burned

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side gasket dripping onto the cat most likely

x2. Open the engine compartment up and see if there is smoking basically right in front of the passenger seat at the firewall (where your exhaust manifold is). Oil likes to drip there from the valve cover gasket and burn up, causing smoking and smellyness.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.........it's just RANDOM exhaust smoke THAT SMELLS TERRIBLE.....not like regular oil beeing burned

Where is the "smoke" coming from, the tailpipe or engine compartment? If from the tailpipe, then it's not from an external leak. If from the engine compartment, then it would be a leak.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to hi jack this thread but I've got the same problem with my daughters 2003 Liberty and rather than start a new thread on the same exact topic.....well........

I performed a compression test and compression is good. Engine does not smoke on initial start-up which indicates valve stem guide seals are still doing thier job. The smoke is definately oil but with a weird smell to it....almost like sulfur, I guess is the best way to describe it.

Happens at different intervals.

I don't know if it is coming from the engine compartment or from the tail pipe. Since it only happens while driving, by the time I pull over to get a look at it, the smoke is gone.

I will take a look behind the valve cover later on today when I get home.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
valve cover ... passenger side .. you wont see anything on the body or frame and most likely wont feel it either... the cabin filter is right by that cover it drips onto the cat burns straight into the cabin filter thats why it smells like crap .

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And when the leak gets worse which it will if you ignore it you'll eventually see wisps of smoke come from under the hood when stopped and running. Believe me I speak from experience:happy175::happy175::happy175:

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha....yeah, just hijacked my own thread.......I'm at work, multi tasking and reading everything I can on the subject....must be suffering from Liberty overload.

Anyhow, definately going to check the area behind the valve cover.

As for the weird smell, it makes sense, being so close to the cabin
filter.....pretty much filling the cabin with a concentrated smell of
burnt oil fumes.

Another thing I may try is wrapping the catalytic converter with heavy duty aluminum foil for a day then pull it off and see if there are any oil deposits.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha....yeah, just hijacked my own thread.......I'm at work, multi tasking and reading everything I can on the subject....must be suffering from Liberty overload.

Anyhow, definately going to check the area behind the valve cover.

As for the weird smell, it makes sense, being so close to the cabin
filter.....pretty much filling the cabin with a concentrated smell of
burnt oil fumes.

Another thing I may try is wrapping the catalytic converter with heavy duty aluminum foil for a day then pull it off and see if there are any oil deposits.

all that will do is nothing... lol the passenger side is the hard side to change ... and the drivers side harldy ever goes.. you need a long 10 mil socket on a swivel to get the back bolt..
its a large pain in the ass.