Broken Water Pump? Did I ruin my Jeep??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You brought in a severely overheated engine. The shop doesn't know about the coolant your Jeep requires. You have a random cylinder misfire, which means it could be one or many cylinders but the system doesn't know which ones specifically. And with having a misfire code and feeling the misfire when driving, the shop isn't telling you anything? Did they send you on your merry way like this? I sure hope not. If so, you need to take your Jeep anywhere else but there. Given the circumstances (overheating), you could have anything from a blown fuse to a blown head gasket. (let's not over analyze the fuse suggestion, it was for demonstration purposes only). Knowing what happened, the shop should have done a combustion gases test on the coolant, a coolant pressure test, and perhaps even a cylinder compression test. Your possible causes for the misfire are many.

The shop did tell me about the cylinder misfire code and that it felt that way when they drove it.

It was my choice if I wanted them to further diagnose the cause for additional charges or if I wanted to take it home today after the water pump and thermostat were replaced along with the coolant flush with HOAT.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop did tell me about the cylinder misfire code and that it felt that way when they drove it.
It was my choice if I wanted them to further diagnose the cause for additional charges or if I wanted to take it home today after the water pump and thermostat were replaced along with the coolant flush with HOAT.

Yes, I do know they told you of the misfire, but not what the cause is. Now knowing that you opted not to pay to find out why eases my opinion of the shop, a little. But unless you know how to do the diagnostic checks as I mentioned above, and possibly more, then you're not in any better position to know what's going on. And we could throw one possible scenario on top of another, but it won't pinpoint the cause

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This engine will need a rebuild. Mark my words. 3.7's and 4.7's blow head gaskets and warp heads like nobody's business. Overheat it and continue to drive it and its gonna happen. My guess is you have oil or coolant going into one or more cylinders and there won't be any ignition in that cylinder because the spark plug is full of water or oil. Check everything I mentioned in my above posts daily and if I'm right you will know it. If you find anything irregular stop driving it and take it to a reputable shop to have it taken apart.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up the Jeep today and drove it home without any issue.

I did another ignition diagnostic and got codes P300 and P304. The shop said their scanner detected P300, P303, P304, and P305.

I don't know what (a) misfired cylinder(s) feels like, but the Jeep felt like it normally did when I drove it back home.

Should I consider looking to get a new vehicle? Engine? Take it to a Jeep dealer and have them diagnose the check engine light which is because of the cylinder issue?

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A rebuild at a good shop around my area cost about $1,000. If you have a warped head your gonna need new heads on top of the $1,000. If its a freshly blown gasket you should only need a fresh gasket and the heads should be good (unless warped). If the gasket has been blown for a while your gonna need to get the heads machined and resurfaced. That costed me $300 last time I blew a gasket. If I had the $ I'd rebuild it. If I didn't I'd pretend like nothing is wrong with it and trade it in.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too upset just yet, there's always time to panic later. Let them have a good look at it first. Your hair will get gray soon enough. ;)

I'll amend my previous advice to read "Let someone else have a good look at it"...

I would get a diagnosis from someone who leaves no stone unturned. It may not be bad, but if it's anything major it will only get much worse the longer you let it go.

I'll stick by the rest of my advice. There is no need to panic until you know exactly what you're dealing with. (See amended advice above.) ;)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant exhaust gases test - to detect a blown head gasket pushing combustion gases into the engine's water jackets.
Coolant system pressure test - to see if there is a failure in the cooling system.
Engine leak down test - to see how well, or not, the cylinders hold pressure.
Engine compression test - if leak down test fails, to determine if you are getting excessive ring blow-by (if overheating made the rings score/gouge the cylinder walls), or if the valves aren't sealing well.
If you pass those tests with flying colors, then you might be ok. Considering you are now getting misfire codes, I would want to know these things before driving the Jeep. Having coolant going into the crankcase for instance, can do damage to the bearings in no time.

Slims

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant exhaust gases test - to detect a blown head gasket pushing combustion gases into the engine's water jackets.
Coolant system pressure test - to see if there is a failure in the cooling system.
Engine leak down test - to see how well, or not, the cylinders hold pressure.
Engine compression test - if leak down test fails, to determine if you are getting excessive ring blow-by (if overheating made the rings score/gouge the cylinder walls), or if the valves aren't sealing well.
If you pass those tests with flying colors, then you might be ok. Considering you are now getting misfire codes, I would want to know these things before driving the Jeep. Having coolant going into the crankcase for instance, can do damage to the bearings in no time.

Last thing you mentioned is what I'm thinking. With my old 4.7 the bearings wore down just enough that when it heated up and the metal expanded, oil when right through and I lost oil pressure. With him losing oil pressure I'm thinking that or the rings.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Having coolant going into the crankcase for instance, can do damage to the bearings in no time.

What happened to me...

Last thing you mentioned is what I'm thinking. With my old 4.7 the bearings wore down just enough that when it heated up and the metal expanded, oil when right through and I lost oil pressure. With him losing oil pressure I'm thinking that or the rings.

And what I fear will happen.

Cooked my HGs about three years ago and still hanging in there. Milkshake in the crankcase. Lots of top end noise when cold, still waiting for the bottom end to go.

Be proactive! Do as I say not as I did.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove the Jeep around a little bit longer and the check engine light went off.

It has not come back on after multiple restarts and driving around.

Should I assume that I am in the clear or still get it checked out now that the light turned off by itself?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If it was me, I would still have it checked out if for no other reason peace of mind. These do not like to be overheated one bit so finding a possible issue now may save you more $$$ in the long run. If they find nothing then you are sure and drive it like ya stole it for the next 10 years!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was me, I would still have it checked out if for no other reason peace of mind. These do not like to be overheated one bit so finding a possible issue now may save you more $$$ in the long run. If they find nothing then you are sure and drive it like ya stole it for the next 10 years!

So slow and carefully so the cops don't notice?:secret:

djembeing

Reaction score
Mine's ok

I just wanted to say that you may be ok.
Of course, you should check as much as you can. I've not found a car forum with as much good info as these jeep forums.

Last fall, my '05 (~50k miles) overheated and started the ding ding ding warning. Just a few minutes of running hot.
Brother in law towed it home (RV tow bars come in handy).
Changed water pump etc.
Changed oil. Old oil was black but no foam or bubbles or milky mess.
Coolant level has been consistent.

I know what it feels like to worry about your vehicle when something like this happens. I hope your's ends up ok.

Latest posts

Members online